[haiku-development] Re: Submenu in Applications menu

  • From: Ankur Sethi <get.me.ankur@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 16:00:15 +0530

Why not designate a *single* folder (~/config/be/Applications, for
example) where all application symlinks can be dropped? The folder
should contain no subfolders. The user/application developer/package
manager can attach attributes to each symlink in the folder, and the
Deskbar can build categories dynamically using these attributes.

This way, (1) we don't query the *entire* filesystem, (2) applications
from temporary locations or download folders don't clutter the Deskbar
menu and (3) the user can still just drop his custom symlinks into
~/config/be/Applications and have them show up under "Uncategorized"
in the Deskbar.

A "Customize Deskbar" preflet would allow placing these symlinks into
different categories. In reality, this preflet would simply add the
required attribute to the symlink.

IMO, the Windows way of doing things is horribly flawed. It encourages
developers to hide applications deep into the Start menu. The search
features in the Vista Start menu help a bit, but they still don't
solve the original problem, i.e, cluttering up of the start menu.
Also, IIRC, KDE and GNOME use some special config files to build their
menus. This, I feel, is a complicated solution to a trivial problem.

I trust the devs to keep things simple :)

--
Salut,
General Maximus