[haiku-development] Re: Submenu in Applications menu

  • From: Oliver Ruiz Dorantes <oliver.ruiz.dorantes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 14:24:00 +0200

> Why not designate a *single* folder (~/config/be/Applications, for
> example) where all application symlinks can be dropped? The folder
> should contain no subfolders. The user/application developer/package
> manager can attach attributes to each symlink in the folder, and the
> Deskbar can build categories dynamically using these attributes.

A bit the best of both worlds, but if i need to make symlinks anyway, and
place them there, while i could place them in a specific folder... makes a
bit useless the querying effort.

What about just querying /boot/apps? If someone has more than 1 version is
because he wants... so a showing a version attribute could make the
difference...

Well anyway, the reason I pointed this is to define those categories in
Distribution Guidelines regardless of our final implementation.
Prevent distributions post-alpha define its own categories.
Avoid developers not knowing where to put/categorize their links in the Leaf
Menu.

Somehow avoid ZETA's mess where you could find in your menu something like:

Dev
Development

internet
Internet
Network

And those where? in "Applications" or in "Software" ¿?

regards

--
Oliver,