[haiku-development] Re: Some thoughts on package management

  • From: Julian Harnath <julian.harnath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 16:35:23 +0200

Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb:
> Such a tool would be greatly appreciated, since the power of the user
> install software however he likes, has been stripped away.

Has it really? Software which is simply distributed as a zip file with
the old installation way of "unzip and move wherever you want"
continues to work fine. You can move it to non-packaged -- or wherever
you to want actually.

Broken might be "unzip to /boot"-things, but those were never a good
idea anyway.

Well-written old BeOS applications I have around, such as SoundPlay,
BamBam, ColdCut, CL-Amp, TAResizer and more, still work fine like that,
just unzip and run.

--
So long, jua