[haiku-development] Re: Some thoughts on package management

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 11:04:49 -0700

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 7:35 AM, John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That being said, it is not okay to break existing software and I think
> that is where most of the complaints lie. How can we get existing
> software to work again unmodified, and, baring that, what is the
> easiest path to making the rest work again?

My impression is that most of the "broken" is just hardcoded paths in
the zipfiles themselves. I suspect it would be trivial to run these
zipfiles through some processor that translates the hardcoded paths
into the proper constant-based locations... it could even be possible
to create a rudimentary hpkg I think.

The removal of the B_COMMON_* constants is really just a tangent
discussion and a side-effect of the package management stuff. Those
could probably be "honored" by finddir and find_directory() even if
they are no longer present in the public header.

Maybe a GCI task could be writing a tool that converts a brain-dead
zipfile package into an hpkg - and then allow one to drag-n-drop a
zipfile on it to "install" it :)

- Urias