[haiku-development] Re: Some thoughts on package management

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 09:20:47 +0200

On 2013-10-20 at 06:48:54 [+0200], looncraz <looncraz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is the removal of the B_COMMON_* really even needed or advisable?
>
> Why not leave them and have them redirect to the new locations where
> common files may reside - even if there is more than one way to that
> path - that way minds can be changed in the future and there is less
> work now...
>
> Personally, I was quite fond of the /boot/common/ idea for multiuser
> purposes, though I can certainly live without it... but I thought of it
> as a way for all users to share resources without them being embedded
> into system...

With /boot/system being made of packages, it's easy to add or remove some
there, without much risk of breaking anything beyond repair.

If you want to share non-packaged stuff, /boot is still writable and you
can create a "common" folder (or another fancy name) to share things.
There's also /boot/system/non-packaged if the stuff is non-packaged AND
needs to be in system PATH, for example.

--
Adrien.