[haiku-development] Re: Should Haiku, Inc. sign the FSF SecureBoot petition?

  • From: Gabriele Biffi <mlist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 16:58:49 +0100

Il 29/12/12 14:04, François Revol ha scritto:
In case you didn't notice, tablets are getting traction now, and along
with smartphones are outselling laptops.

It's the usual replacement-market vs. new-market, things will stabilize. IMHO, we will have nearly one tablet per person but only one PC per family before this happens.

The current ads here show laptop-thick things with a removable keyboard,
which I suppose will likely become the norm in a few years.

I don't think so. Such tablets (10"+) are too large for a mobile device, and too small for a laptop :)

We target the desktop, but, well, those are just "mobile" desktop anyway.

Not quite, because they have very different input systems. Before jumping into the tablets arena, Haiku needs a whole new GUI better suited for fingers. I'm not against it, but I wouldn't like to see a desktop mouse&keyboard GUI slapped onto a touch screen.
And please keep the focus on R1 first ;)

Gabriele