[haiku-development] Should Haiku, Inc. sign the FSF SecureBoot petition?

  • From: Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 00:52:27 -0600

I noticed several folks from Haiku have signed the FSF
SecureBoot petition.

We could sign the petition as an organization and get
some nice advertisement of our support while helping
a good cause.

If you aren't aware of SecureBoot... Windows 8 systems
require PC manufactures to use a locked down boot process
(part of UEFI) to "secure" the system. The side effect is
that you have to have a "blessed" key from Microsoft to
boot anything other then Windows 8. (This is all part of
the "Windows 8 Certification" for hardware)

As these are commodity x86 machines, this impacts all
non-Microsoft operating systems including Haiku.

Anyone against Haiku, Inc. signing this?

http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/secure-boot-vs-restricted-boot/statement/

 Thanks!
   -- Alexander von Gluck IV