[haiku-development] Re: Ruby to drop support for 9 platforms, including BeOS

  • From: Olivier Coursiere <olivier.coursiere@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 01:32:32 +0200

Jorge Mare a écrit :
As announced here...

http://www.rubyinside.com/ruby-1-9-0-3-and-drops-support-for-9-platforms-970.html

...Ruby plans to drop support for 9 platforms, including BeOS. Per the
announcement, Ruby developers plan to "remove platform-specific codes
for them from Ruby, unless someone become a maintainer by 25 Sep."
Thank you to relay this information !
I am not sure who maintained the BeOS specific code, or if there is
anyone interested in avoiding the BeOS code from being removed (for
the sake of future Haiku support, that is), but thought I would notify
the Haiku developers in case there is anyone out there who would like
to step up.

Jorge
Well, i think i am the latest who ask for a BeOS compile fix in the ruby code base (already a few years ago).

There is not a lot of BeOS specific code in the now old 1.8 code base (except for networking but it does not work well). That explain why there was not a lot of activities : ruby 1.8 just compile under BeOS. ruby 1.8 can also compile under Haiku using the patch in bug #2041 (http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/2041). The only thing who prevented me to send the patch was this bug.

ruby 1.9 is a major version with a new virtual machine. I think most of the BeOS code was inherited from the old code base. Ruby 1.9 probably does not work out of the box under BeOS. I have tried to compile it exactly one year ago under BeOS. As far as i remember, the main problem was the need of good thread library. The partial pthread under BeOS was not enough. And a native port of the thread part need more work than using pthread.

Under Haiku, pthread would probably work (or at least pthread could be extended more easily).

I think someone else has tried compiling ruby 1.9 under Haiku (seen on irc i think), but i do not know his results.

I will retry to compile ruby 1.9 under Haiku in the next weeks (Haiku is stable enough to do this now). And maybe, in september, we may exchange the drop of BeOS support in ruby 1.9 with a full haiku support ;-) And if we show interest in Haiku support, maybe we can win a delay to decide about BeOS support.

In the next few days, i will send a message to the ruby mailling list to show that there is still some interests in the BeOS port.

Olivier