[haiku-development] Re: Proposed Change to Common Accelerant for EDID

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 15:02:38 +0200 CEST

Gerald Zajac <zajacg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> I'm proposing to ignore
> the refresh rate, and add all modes from the base mode list which
> have a
> matching width and height.
[...]
> Unless someone can point out any problems with this solution, I will
> make this change.

That depends on how you intend to implement it, I guess. If you really
want to ignore the refresh rate, then I don't think this is a good
change - you should only add modes that the current monitor supports,
at least.
I think we should improve the mode generation, anyway, and also use the
GTF (Generalized Timing Formula) to compute the modes. The add-on
should only provide substitutes to the app_server maintained mode list
(+EDID help) in case the specific mode does not work properly
otherwise, or does not contain a mode (when there is no EDID but a
fixed panel resolution).

Bye,
   Axel.