[haiku-development] Re: Proposed Change to Common Accelerant for EDID

  • From: Gerald Zajac <zajacg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 10:16:17 -0400

Axel Dörfler wrote:
Gerald Zajac <zajacg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
I'm proposing to ignore the refresh rate, and add all modes from the base mode list which have a matching width and height.
[...]
That depends on how you intend to implement it, I guess. If you really want to ignore the refresh rate, then I don't think this is a good change - you should only add modes that the current monitor supports, at least.

I do not see ignoring the refresh rate as a problem. Only modes where the resolution (width & height) are supported by the monitor will be added. Since the Screen Preferences does not restrict the refresh rate based upon what is in the mode list, the mode list for any specific width & height should contain all the refresh rates that are in the Common Accelerant's base mode list. That way regardless which refresh rate is chosen via the Screen Preferences, a usable mode will be more likely that if the Screen Preferences has to compute the mode parameters using the parameters of a mode with a different refresh rate. As far as which refresh rates a monitor supports, it is not very easy to determine from the EDID info which refresh rates are supported.

I think we should improve the mode generation, anyway, and also use the GTF (Generalized Timing Formula) to compute the modes. The add-on should only provide substitutes to the app_server maintained mode list (+EDID help) in case the specific mode does not work properly otherwise, or does not contain a mode (when there is no EDID but a fixed panel resolution).

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying in this paragraph. I'm also unaware of a mode list maintained by the app_server. If the app_server maintains a mode list, where is it, and how is it accessed?

--Gerald