[haiku-development] Re: Old image

  • From: Marcus Overhagen <marcusoverhagen@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 13:50:45 +0200 (CEST)

David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It was interesting how the machine worked while it was unzipping
> though.  Lots of CPU followed by a long pause (presumably IO).  While
> IO was going on the system was unresponsive.

I think this unresponsive pause is caused by the periodic execution of the
synchronize cache command. This causes the hdd to flush it's whole internal
buffer to disk, and can take some seconds. During that time, the hdd is busy.

I think it is a mistake to peridically execute it. It should IMO only be done
once when shutting down the system.

regards
Marcus

Zerreißen Sie die Netze der Phisher, Hacker und Betrüger!
Ihre Internet-Sicherheits-Seiten auf Arcor.de bieten alle Infos und
Hilfsmittel, die Sie zum sicheren Surfen brauchen! Play it safe!
http://www.arcor.de/footer-sicherheit/