[haiku-development] Re: Old image

  • From: Fredrik Holmqvist <fredrik.holmqvist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 08:51:28 +0200

2009/4/15 Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Fredrik Holmqvist <fredrik.holmqvist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> If it's a SSD it's probably the controller on the SSD that is the
>> problem. The JMicron controller is known to freeze for several
>> seconds
>> when writing under certain conditions.
>
> Is there some possibility to work around that? And if so, are there
> documents about how to do this?

Anandtech has the most detailed information on SSD's. Here is a good article:
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531

I don't know if there are any good ways to avoid this, most forums
seem to recommend avoid writing on those, also IIRC there is one or
two filesystems developed which tries to collect writes and handle
them better. As I don't have any of those devices myself I havn't
looked into how to fix that problem. (I have a OCZ Vertex though, but
havn't tried Haiku on it yet.)

/Fredrik Holmqvist, TQH