[haiku-development] Re: Old image

  • From: David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 17:02:59 +1000

On 2009-04-16, Rob Judd <haiqu@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Evidently the image I found at ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/haiku was ancient,
> despite having a date of 13 April 2009. I unpacked it to find that it was
> from about 2005. :(
>
> Got around the slow copy between drives problem eventually by zipping the
> sources, copying that, and unzipping again. It saved about 6 hours.

Can you give more details about your system?

Have a look at ideinfo and idestatus.  I wonder if DMA is on for you.

I just recently moved my development across to haiku on a EeePC.  It
is a single drive and I zipped the sources from my BeOS machine,
ftp'ed to the Haiku machine and unzipped.

Unzipping took about 30mins or so.

It was interesting how the machine worked while it was unzipping
though.  Lots of CPU followed by a long pause (presumably IO).  While
IO was going on the system was unresponsive.

--
Cheers
David