[haiku-development] Re: Is im_kit within the scope of Haiku for GSoC projects?

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 11:10:37 -0700

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 08:36 +0000, Salvatore Benedetto wrote:
> On 07/04/2008, Dustin Howett <alaricx@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Cf. the subject of this message; I'm interested in this because I'd
> >  like to make the changes necessary to bring libpurple to haiku and
> >  make im_kit merely a front-end for libpurple, which would give us free
> >  (no need to re-write it) multi-protocol support..
> >  and possibly some backwards-compatibility with old im_kit data (as
> >  this would just be another libpurple UI)
> >
> >  Or is the haiku im_kit project a sort of 'pet project' of a dev and
> >  it'd be a bad idea to do this all over their feet.
> >

> Since you brought it up, I should say that the haiku-os.it community
> as actually started with porting the IMKit to Haiku. Of course, this
> is all "unofficial" yet. Pier Luigi Fiorini and Andrea Anzani, have
> already started working on it. The latest has also produced a little
> document about how the sources is structured for new developers (e.g
> for me :-) ). We also have two discussion going on in our forum.
> Unfortunately everything is in Italian though.
>
> However if you are interested in contributing, please get in contact with us.
> I'm personally against using libpurple as a backend and the main
> reason is due to the license. That's of course just my opinion though.

I am going to ask (what others may also be thinking): is there anything
really insurmountable that is stopping Pier and Andrea from joining the
original im_kit project?

I believe the im-kit project has a public source repository and there is
already a bug reporting tool that is being used for this project
(http://www.beclan.org/bugs/), so why not use those existing resources
instead?

Having two im_kit projects seems like an unnecessary duplication of
effort for a small development community like Haiku's, so it would
really be wise to at least to to join forces if possible.

Cheers,

Koki

PS: hopefully I did not offend anyone's sensitivities by posing these
questions; and if I did, I apologize in advance.