[haiku-development] Re: Is im_kit within the scope of Haiku for GSoC projects?

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 21:05:42 +0200 CEST

> On 07/04/2008, Dustin Howett <alaricx@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Cf. the subject of this message; I'm interested in this because I'd
> >  like to make the changes necessary to bring libpurple to haiku and
> >  make im_kit merely a front-end for libpurple, which would give us
> > free
> >  (no need to re-write it) multi-protocol support..
> >  and possibly some backwards-compatibility with old im_kit data (as
> >  this would just be another libpurple UI)
> >
> >  Or is the haiku im_kit project a sort of 'pet project' of a dev
> > and
> >  it'd be a bad idea to do this all over their feet.
> >

> Since you brought it up, I should say that the haiku-os.it community
> as actually started with porting the IMKit to Haiku. Of course, this
> is all "unofficial" yet. Pier Luigi Fiorini and Andrea Anzani, have
> already started working on it. The latest has also produced a little
> document about how the sources is structured for new developers (e.g
> for me :-) ). We also have two discussion going on in our forum.
> Unfortunately everything is in Italian though.

While I didn't try building under Haiku, it mostly runs with some
fixing (there is a bug in get_team_info still to be fixed) when built
with a bone devkit.

See
http://revolf.free.fr/beos/patches/im_kit.fixes.diff.txt

Before trying to port something ask first, and be sure to check
http://revolf.free.fr/beos/patches/ :D

I should push those to BePorts someday...

François.