[haiku-development] Re: GCC 2 x GCC 4.

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:29:51 +0200

On 2008-08-13 at 16:18:00 [+0200], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
[...]
> Of course, this is pretty much independent from having Haiku compiled
> with GCC4, but since it's much better tested with GCC2, and our GCC4
> version is not really up-to-date, but has some known problems, as well
> as some pending bugs (like the Radeon driver Rene mentioned), I don't
> see good reason to do so shortly before a release.

I don't have a strong opinion on this matter, but I tend to agree with
these arguments. At least for the first alpha I wouldn't switch to gcc 4.
Getting the gcc 4 tool chain up to date and running smoothly on Haiku will
only postpone the release further, as will solving the forementioned gcc 4
only bugs. Unless I've overlooked something, assuming that WebKit won't be
ready for the release, we won't bundle any software that requires gcc 4, so
I would consider to not even ship the gcc 4 libs. For the second alpha we
should reevaluate the situation.

CU, Ingo