[haiku-development] Re: Follow-up to the "Luposian bug"

  • From: Luposian <luposian@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 16:25:44 -0700

Is my fame being spread about, yet... AGAIN? :-)

Just remember the 'golden rule' concerning Haiku, at this stage of it's development...

"Two steps forward, one step back." And sometimes... it's two or even THREE steps back, depending upon how badly one developer steps on another developer's toes (code). The worst offense is where a developer "breaks the build" completely. It's happened several times in the past... even recently, too.

Get used to it. It's happened before. It's happening now. And it will continue to happen, now and again. I think I'll stick with r24803 (I think it was), til this little "episode" has been resolved.

BTW, I wouldn't classify this as an aspect of the infamous "Luposian bug", but thanks for mentioning me, anyways. At least I know I'm never forgotten...

Latre!

Luposian

P.S. Has anyone thought to include me somewhere in the AboutSystem credits? You know... something like "Most annoying pre-alpha tester we've ever known" or something? :-D I'd be glad to offer up a picture of me that would go PERFECTLY with it, too! :-) Make it an Easter Egg (click somewhere special or hit some key combo or something) even...

If Haiku can copy files and *not* KDL.... and it can do so, *without* eating up all system memory... *and* write those files TO disk... then, as far as I'm concerned, the "Luposian Bug" is *SQUASHED DEAD!* Those are the only problems that I've ever been bothered by (if there is anything I've forgotten, ask Axel... he knows all!). And, unless any of those three "issues" resurfaces for any lengthy duration (hundreds or revisions or longer), *I DON'T WANNA HEAR ABOUT IT!* :-)

Afterall, I'm already famous enough, as it is... try not to immortalize me, eh? :-D Er, you can do that in the credits... :-)

On Apr 6, 2008, at 10:08 AM, Andreas Färber wrote:

Hello,

Yesterday I've compiled and ran r24809, I believe, on real hardware. I was able to work with it for some time but then it KDL'ed (saying something like 'unused page ... should not have a cache', or similar). 'continue' brought up other error messages, so I had no other choice than to 'reboot'. Since then, booting up Haiku reproducibly shows me a license agreement on a blue background and afterwards the Haiku installer. Is this expected behavior? Does this mean that rebooting Haiku from KDL has completely ruined my file system, and this is some fallback functionality? Or is something else going wrong? Either way it seems this shouldn't happen! It was on the first boot and the last thing I did was re-running subversion's configure, it had just checked successfully for the version of Perl. I'd expect some damaged files possibly but still a bootable Haiku partition since I didn't mess with anything crucial.

If you're interested in any debug info or part of the partition for analysis, let me know soon, before I overwrite it.

Regards,

Andreas