[haiku-development] Re: Firefox port [was: Re: R1/a4 initial planning]

  • From: lodewijk andré de la porte <lodewijkadlp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 08:04:05 +0100

>that absolutely doesn't work in a web browser. Programming can only do
> so much in the face of network latency!
I know but I believe Webpositive does a bit worse.

> Why would you completely delete the entire interface? Navigating is a
> core function of a browser, and shouldn't be relegated to right-click
> menus.
I kept the address bar. All modern browsers place navigation next to it.
The menu's are rarely used. Admitting those things and removing them keeps
things simple.

> > Last but not least, a plugin system that allows to place extra
> > context-sensitive info in the right mouse button. To inject JS into
pages.
> > To place a button to the left or right of the address bar (drop-down
> > optionally?). To access the DOM on pages on which they become enabled
and
> > open their own pages (access the DOM accross those). Those things
combined
> > should make the majority of tasks possible. There could be a pre-parse
html
> > function, for filtering ads and tracking before they have a chance to
show.
> > There must be a little plugin-store too.
> >
> > Honestly, if this could be made I'd be able to spend 90% of my time in
Haiku
> > OS without compatibility problems.
>
> You've basically just described Chrome, but with less GUI 'chrome'.
> Chrome is huge, it's a big project with full-time developers. If you
> want Chrome, the best bet is to port it, not rewrite it for Haiku.
> Maybe we could add an option to Chromium to use Haiku's S&T
> functionality for tabs, but there's really no sense in dedicating all
> of our resources to duplicating Chrome (it would probably take more
> than all of our resources, actually).
>
> --Alex

Chrome has V8 and a lot of fairly random features. Can you tell me why any
webkit based browser wouldn't just be "Chromium but worse"? Even if you do
come up with something there'd likely be a plugin to do it. Only when it
comes to speed might you "win".

Besides it looks mostly like Firefox right now, isn't it better to just
port FF?