[haiku-development] Re: Firefox port [was: Re: R1/a4 initial planning]

  • From: lodewijk andré de la porte <lodewijkadlp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 00:05:05 +0100

> >> I'd love to see WebPositive development continue as fast as possible. So
> >> certainly, anyone wishing to work on WebPositive should do that rather
> >> than
> >> invest time in a Firefox port. But, in the hope that Haiku is again
> chosen
> >> as
> >> a mentoring organization, we need project ideas and I find the Firefox
> >> port a
> >> rather good one.
> >

> > +1
> >
> > Bye,
> >   Axel.
> >
> +1
> And make sure Web+ can block all content from sites the user adds to
> the blacklist, including javascript, popups and images especially from
> doubleclick.net adsnx.com and <anynumber>.com

I think the idea of a native browser is a very good one. It'd like to list
some things I like to see in a browser:

- Extendability, nothing is ever finished and you can't do the work on your
own
- Reliability, it's not that bad if something fails every so often. As long
as it works most of the time and fails with grace.
- Speed, I'm a programmer. I know things can be fast. Rule of fist is "if
it takes a long time, it's done wrong", for most programs that means that
if I see it happen, it's too slow.
- Compatability, I was a sucker for ACID3. It was the primary reason I
switched to Chrome. Chrome is also fast and gracefully fails. I like it
quite well.
- Minimal, out-of-my-way. We're here for the web, not the browser.

Given webpositive will use webkit for at least a reasonable time. Likely V8
for JS. It´ll have fast rendering and JS. It´ll also be compatable. If
blitting´n all are a problem Haiku should be fixed until it´s not. Fast
rendering and blitting are important.
To minimize the chrome and get some haiku-specific competitive edge I think
it'd be nice to have every tab have a window to use the pane-stacking as
tab management. It'll effectively eliminate the tab bar from the chrome and
really make some use of that stack-and-tile functionality in the window
manager.

All other functions could be made accessible through a right-mouse menu and
keyboard shortcuts. It should be attempted to provide a minimal amount of
function to still cover all needs.

Last but not least, a plugin system that allows to place extra
context-sensitive info in the right mouse button. To inject JS into pages.
To place a button to the left or right of the address bar (drop-down
optionally?). To access the DOM on pages on which they become enabled and
open their own pages (access the DOM accross those). Those things combined
should make the majority of tasks possible. There could be a pre-parse html
function, for filtering ads and tracking before they have a chance to show.
There must be a little plugin-store too.

Honestly, if this could be made I'd be able to spend 90% of my time in
Haiku OS without compatibility problems. After all practically everything
can be done via the web by now. E-mail, documents(, developing), research,
games, books, video's, TV, calling, banking etc. Only printing can't really
be done (without google cloud-print :).

I say plugin a modem in every country in the world and order your prints by
fax!

Best regards,
Lewis