[haiku-development] Re: Firefox port [was: Re: R1/a4 initial planning]

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 00:26:33 +0100

On 2012-02-22 at 18:15:30 [+0100], Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Simon Taylor
> <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > That is true, the UI essentially uses the same rendering engine (or at
> > least, it did at one point) so as soon as the engine worked a full browser
> > UI should not be far behind. It might be worth trying with a GSoC project,
> > and we might get lucky with the student.
>
> Never count on GSoC to produce anything.

Which is the reason for not having an urgent/high priority task as a GSoC
project. And, I suppose, also a reason why you're opposed to having a
WebKit/WebPositive project. But that's also why a Firefox port makes a good
one. If nothing comes of it, that would at least not postpone a task we
really have to get done.

> Plus this is probably way too
> complicated for a GSoC project anyhow.

That is something I cannot really judge. I assume you don't mean complicated
in the sense that it requires skills that students likely don't possess, but
rather the whole undertaking being quite a bit of work. Since Firefox is
portable/ported software, however, I guess that three months of full time
work could go quite a distance.

> If someone is motivated to work on a new Firefox port feel free, but I
> for one don't think trying to learn a new code base is a good use of
> my time.

I'd love to see WebPositive development continue as fast as possible. So
certainly, anyone wishing to work on WebPositive should do that rather than
invest time in a Firefox port. But, in the hope that Haiku is again chosen as
a mentoring organization, we need project ideas and I find the Firefox port a
rather good one. As a student I would find it rather interesting. It is
surely big enough to entertain the student the whole summer, but probably not
too big either (at least not so big that getting results is outright
impossible). Anyway, it's just a project idea. Someone would need to be
willing to mentor it and a studing applying for it would need to be among the
ones we select.

CU, Ingo