[haiku-development] Re: Bash and Jobs

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 08:28:46 -0400

On 8/29/07, François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> if I mistakenly start something equivalent to rm -Rf / and notice it
> before it's too late I'd be really glad closing the shell window kills
> the thing :D

Well I did say background process. If you are doing something like "rm
-Rf / &" you have other problems ;)

If you run it in the foreground then Ctrl-C should kill it, though I
do think closing the terminal window should stop any foregrounds
commands as well.

I guess the question to ask is why does closing the window and typing
exit behave differently? Is there a reason Linux does it this way? Or
is it just some weird side affect of how X Windows works? Because
obviously the whole closing the window thing only comes with GUIs.

My point is we should do it better, or at least consider what is the
best way and make an active decision to that affect. If we feel the
Linux behavior is truly best, that is fine. We just need to be careful
about doing things a certain way just because that is how it was
always done.

Ryan