[haiku-development] Re: Bash and Jobs

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 08:13:09 -0400

On 8/29/07, Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Then you apparently don't use bash, because that's how it handles SIGHUP on
> all platforms with job control. Note, that some programs (e.g. terminals)
> usually ignore SIGHUP explicitely, so they won't be affected anyway, but
> you can test it with programs like xeyes and xcalc. Starting them in the
> background and closing the terminal will kill them, while exiting the shell
> will leave them alone.

I just tested in Linux and you are right of course. GVIM apparently
ignores the SIGHUP because it survives either way and that is almost
always what I might want to stay around after closing a terminal
(which means that was my point of reference.)

Now I've been using Linux on and off for about 10 years (though I have
used plenty of Windows and some BeOS too.) Bash has always been my
shell in Linux and BeOS. I really only recently started looking over
it's man page to figure a few things out, but job control is not one
of those things. Therefore I didn't know all this stuff.

Now maybe I am an unusual case. But I'm not sure, and I think we may
want to consider that even "advanced" users don't know all the
intricacies of Bash. Therefore I would suggest designing all this to
be user friendly even if that means not being exactly "correct"
according to the "Linux standard." After all we are creating Haiku to
fill a void that Linux does not fill for many people.

Ryan