[haiku-development] Re: BFS drivers for other systems?

  • From: "Jürgen Wall" <x-otic@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 09:39:26 +0100

> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 7:28 AM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> > Personally, I definitely want to see Haiku being completely multi-user
> > one day.
>
> I think we should seriously consider other approaches to the problem
> of multiple users of the same computer like the suggestion from Sean
> Collins. We could just copy Linux or Mac OS X and the old mainframe
> multi-user approach, or we could come up with something more
> interesting, modern and maybe even more secure. For one thing I don't
> think multiple users at the same time is something we should worry
> about.

Just wanted to throw an idea similar to the one from Sean Collins.

What about introducing a per-user partition diff at the file system level
above the actual system partition?
There would be one system partition for all users,
which only the administrator would be able to access directly.
Then, for each ordinary user there would be an intermediate diff-layer,
which allows transparent reading from the system partition, but redirects
written contents into a separate "home"-location.
Subsequent reading of the same contents through the diff-layer would then
return data from the diff-layer first, but would fall back to the system
partition in case the data wasn't present.

From my POV this approach would have the following advantages:
1. The physical system partition is totally secured from unauthorized
modifications.

2. Existing applications wouldn't see any difference and wouldn't have to be
modified, however would work with multiple users.

3. The approach could easily be extended to support user-groups,
by means of a layer hierarchy.

4. One could always start with a fresh user account whenever the old one is
messed up and see the original file system.

However, I see the potential problem with the performance and storage of such
an approach as well.