[haiku-development] Re: BFS drivers for other systems?

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 21:34:53 +0100

On 24.02.2011 20:54, Ryan Leavengood wrote:
On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Rene Gollent<anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

I'm not sure I agree there ; increasingly modern hardware has so much
computing power that it's sitting idle most of the time ; rather than
putting 5 PCs all over the house, why not just have one with monitors
connected via Thunderbolt or whatnot in the different rooms, and more
efficiently use what you've got?

I guess that is true, and more "green" if the machine is running all
the time anyhow (though I tend to suspend my laptops of turn off
desktops when not using them.)

I just think it might be very complex to implement something like that
(different desktops running for different users with different apps
and permissions in one app_server...I also don't know if it would be
possible to fully secure that.)

Since the buit-in multi-media features of my TV set basically suck compared to what I can do in Haiku, I was already considering to repurpose one of my computers for a permanent Media Center job. If I could somehow connect my regular Haiku workstation via HDMI to the TV set and use a second mouse/keyboard, it would rock, especially if someone else could indeed use the PC from the living room concurrently. On the other hand, bridging long distances via HDMI is insanely expensive, IIRC, one might as well invest in a dedicated computer.

Best regards,
-Stephan