[haiku-development] Re: BFS drivers for other systems?

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 15:24:29 +0100

Le 17 févr. 2011 à 14:44, Ingo Weinhold a écrit :

> On 2011-02-17 at 14:19:31 [+0100], Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> At FOSDM one interesting discussion developed on permissions and
>> extended file attributes. Suppose (once Haiku is fully multi-user) user
>> A is able to read/write a text file. User B can read/write the same
>> file. Both might be using PE as their text editor of choice. Each one of
>> them would get the view state of the text file restored when they open
>> it in PE and see the state (scroll offset, selection) of the other user,
>> when that user last opened the file.
>
> This multi-user and Haiku issue had already been discussed long ago (probably
> multiple times). The simplest solution is to put only actual meta data into
> attributes (e.g. for audio files run length, genre, etc.), but store user
> settings in the user's settings directory (e.g. personal rating, if the files
> are shared).

Same issue with plain files and folders, like Vision storing logs in its own
app folder though only root would be able to...

>> But it's certainly interesting to think about this, and it
>> may just be the reason why other operation systems use extended
>> attributes only for system level meta data, like access control lists.
>
> I believe at least for Linux that has more likely to do with the fact that
> not all distributions used to enable xattr support by default (does Ubuntu
> nowadays?), so application developers couldn't really rely on it. Also,
> without query support attributes are only half as useful -- e.g. there's no
> point to expose mail header fields as attributes.

Yes, and also the fact that they aren't maintained correctly when moving stuff
around.

>> Still, I wouldn't want to miss extended file attributes the way they are
>> used in Haiku.
>
> Well, we'll have to change a few things when we go multi-user (mainly moving
> settings out of the attributes), but the more interesting stuff will remain
> the same, I suppose.

I wrote and submitted this last year at EuroSys (but the Haiku poster won):

http://revolf.free.fr/beos/xattr-interop-abstract.pdf

I still intend to get something done with it.
Comments welcome.

François.