[haiku-development] Re: Asus Eee PC B202

  • From: David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 00:51:37 +1100

2009/2/9 Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>:

> David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 2009-02-09, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hi,

>> > You have not mentioned if you tried it with the OpenSound optional
>> > package. have you done that?
>>
>> Not yet.  I will try that next.

Ok things are looking better on sound.  OpenSound works.

>> > IIRC, this is a problem in the app_server when it tries to use double
>> > buffered drawing with acceleration (you can disable it in
>> > src/servers/app/drawing/AccelerantHWInterface.cpp::SetMode()).
>>
>> So you get a blank screen?
>
> No, it should simply disable double buffering, if you disable a #define
> there at the top of the function:

Hmm, I get a blank screen when booting with the Intel 950.  No errors
in syslog but the monitor goes off so I suspect a display out of range
type error.

Something similar happens when I boot on my other machine.  It's a
Nvidia 7800GT so I suspect that the calculations to choose a
resolution for the display are wrong for my monitor or something.

> [...]
>        bool tryOffscreenBackBuffer = false;
>        fOffscreenBackBuffer = false;
> #if 1
>        if (fVGADevice < 0 && (color_space)newMode.space == B_RGB32) {
>                // we should have an accelerated graphics driver, try
>                // to allocate a frame buffer large enough to contain
>                // the back buffer for double buffered drawing
>                newMode.virtual_height *= 2;
>                tryOffscreenBackBuffer = true;
>        }
> #endif
>
>        status_t status = fAccSetDisplayMode(&newMode);
>        if (status != B_OK) {
> [...]
>
> Just make that "#if 0" and it will not try to allocate a screen double the
> height for double buffering. From what I recall, this prevents certain GMA
> based setups from working correctly. If everything goes well, the effect
> will be to have more flickering again when GUIs update, but an otherwise
> working setup. ;-)

I will try this once I get a compile environment working.

> [...]
>> I am not expecting miracles for performance under Haiku (The CPU is
>> unlikely to be up to the task of 1080p) but a machine where I can fix
>> decoder issues does appeal to me.
>>
>> >And if you really, really want
>> > smooth scaling in VLC as well, you can hack app_server to check the app
>> > signature in ServerWindow::DispatchGraphicsMessage() when handling
>> > DrawBitmap() and add the smooth scaling option for calls comming from
>> > VLC... ;-)
>>
>> Not interested in VLC.  Trying to improve all the decoders so that
>> MediaPlayer works the best.
>>
>> But first step is getting this machine to a state where I can develop on
>> it.  Reduce that code->compile->transfer to other machine->test cycle.
>
> I see what you mean. Hopefully either OpenSound or if you enable the native
> HDA driver will give you sound to work with. And the GMA issue should
> definitely be solvable so that you get video overlay.

Well, I dd'ed an image onto a partition on the machine, used the usb
haiku to makebootable and then setup ntldr to load the partition and
now I have haiku booting off the hard disk.

Unfortunately DriveSetup will not initialise any partitions so I need
to figure out a different way to get a full size partition setup.
Then I can bring down the haiku source and work on the same machine
which would be nice.

> One thing I really, really want to have is an M2TS extractor. The 0.9 VLC
> series has that. At least it has everything that's needed to play back the
> AVCHD clips of my video camera. Don't know if that is due to ffmpeg (codecs
> including extractor) or if the extractor is separate from ffmpeg and only
> included in VLC. One of these days I want to investigate that if no one
> beats me to it, but for now, I need to finish what I am working on first...

I started on a Mpeg2 transport stream extractor but it is such a
screwy format that I gave up in disgust.  I might get back to it once
I have audio video sync/seeking issues sorted.

--
Cheers
David