[haiku-development] Re: Asus Eee PC B202

  • From: Nick <tonestone57@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 11:12:46 -0700

> > For DAC mode P2 should be from 5 to 10
> > For LVDS mode P2 can be from 7 to 12
> >
> > All other values seem to match what we have.
> >
> > Since the driver has a number of TODO's about LVDS support perhaps a
> > better range would be 7 to 10 which should work for both?
> >
> > Your thoughts appreciated?
>
> Ok annoyingly the driver seems to ignore p2 from the table and
> overwrite with a different set of constants which are 7 to 14
> presumably it is trying to handle LVDS mode.
>
> The driver also seems to have several different ways of detecting LVDS
> mode, hmm.

For LVDS mode P2 is 7 or 14.

Here is the Xorg driver which Haiku is based off.  Look through the tree.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel/

You'll see Xorg uses 7 & 14 for LVDS P2 here:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel/tree/src/i830_display.c?id=5257e36f502676fd6a44bbb8e747d9138ed3bc5c#n116

The pdf link you gave also had the same info, I quote below:

FPB0/FPB1  P2 Clock Divide:
For DPLLB in Serial DVO or DAC mode , BITS(27:26)=01
00 = Divide by 10. This is used when Dot Clock  =< 270MHz in sDVO, HDMI, or DAC
modes
01 = Divide by 5.  This is used when Dot Clock >270MHz
10 = Reserved
11 = Reserved
For DPLLB in LVDS mode, BITS(27:26)=10
00 = Divide by 14.  This is used in Single-Channel LVDS
01 = Divide by 7.    This is used in Dual-Channel LVDS
10 = Reserved
11 = Reserved

What is going on for me, siarzhuk ( & likely you & others ) is that:

1) Driver is trying to use DAC mode/p2 values

2) Our video cards want ( Single-Channel ) LVDS mode

3) Driver fails & hangs

Look at the picture I've attached to the ticket.

http://dev.haiku-os.org/attachment/ticket/3149/P1010003.JPG

You'll see that P2 limits are 10 & 5 ( DAC ) but it found P2 = 14 ( LVDS )

for me the first time around.  Then the driver tries to adjust the other

values so that I can use DAC p2 = 10 which does not work - hangs.

In general, the solution involves fixing LVDS mode & providing values

of 14 & 7 for P2 when LVDS detected.

Regards,