[haiku-development] Re: Asus Eee PC B202

  • From: David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 10:12:39 +1100

On 2009-02-09, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Audio is supposed to be a Azalia ALC888 Audio Chip.  Any thoughts on a
> > driver for this?
>
> You have not mentioned if you tried it with the OpenSound optional package.
> have you done that?

Not yet.  I will try that next.

> > Video is a Intel GMA 950.  Has anyone else got that one working?
>
> IIRC, this is a problem in the app_server when it tries to use double
> buffered drawing with acceleration (you can disable it in
> src/servers/app/drawing/AccelerantHWInterface.cpp::SetMode()).

So you get a blank screen?

>In any case,
> you don't need to be sorry at all to use VESA, you don't miss out on
> anything except video overlays. And that doesn't mean much because you can
> enable smooth scaling in the MediaPlayer.

Video Overlay allows the decoder to use YUV output instead of RGB for
faster decoding.

I am hoping to use this sort of machine as a media viewer.  I
currently use a MediaGate 350.  It outputs 1080i but does not handle
mkv files and has problems with a number of mp4 files.

Under windows 720p works fine but then starts to struggle as we head
towards 1080p.

I am not expecting miracles for performance under Haiku (The CPU is
unlikely to be up to the task of 1080p) but a machine where I can fix
decoder issues does appeal to me.

>And if you really, really want
> smooth scaling in VLC as well, you can hack app_server to check the app
> signature in ServerWindow::DispatchGraphicsMessage() when handling
> DrawBitmap() and add the smooth scaling option for calls comming from

Not interested in VLC.  Trying to improve all the decoders so that
MediaPlayer works the best.

But first step is getting this machine to a state where I can develop
on it.  Reduce that code->compile->transfer to other machine->test
cycle.

--
Cheers
David