[haiku-appserver] Re: Terminal/MiniTerminal

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 07:02:14 +0200 CEST

Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Stable and ready AFAIK for production use. There are some minor
> > features
> >   that existed in R5 which are not implemented yet (search, log to
> > file,
> > etc). but for its normal use, it works fine. I have been using it
> > stand in for R5's on my workhorse machine and I'd say it works
> > pretty
> > well. Andrew Bachmann knows more about why things are organized the
> > way
> > that they are. The sources to use are in the MYOB folder and even
> > then
> > there are files which are not used. While I've worked on some
> > patches
> > and UI work, it's not my baby, so I've been reluctant to nuke
> > files,
> > move files, or do anything to really rock the boat, so to speak.
> OK, but earlier or later someone should cleanup the stuff. It
> definitely
> shouldn't remain like it is.

Indeed, I clean that up later today. I wonder if Andrew would mind if I
moved his stuff into his developer branch.

> > Barring problems with support from the server, I can't see why our
> > Terminal should be a problem when booting Haiku.
> Well, my experiences with the current app server let me expect
> problems (no
> intention to slight anyone), in particular because MiniTerminal,
> which I
> understood as a temporary solution, is still in use. I just thought
> someone
> might have concrete experiences...

I don't know the exact status under Haiku, but the Terminal itself runs
in the Haiku app_server under R5 - with only minor issues, like the
broken window size.

> > I would rather see us adopting Terminal now :-)
> > If it doesn't work correctly, it should fixable with not too much
> > effort I hope.
> I'll have a look at it, but since my intention was actually to get
> the
> debugger working and I'm not familiar with app server internals, I
> don't
> really want to dig too deep here.

Understood, I'll try to fix the window size problem this morning, if
you don't mind.

Bye,
   Axel.