[haiku-appserver] Re: Terminal/MiniTerminal

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 00:00:50 +0200

On 2005-07-17 at 20:11:04 [+0200], DarkWyrm wrote:
> Ingo Weinhold wrote:
> >
> > I realized, that in its current state the MiniTerminal is not really
> > helpful while trying to get attaching gdb to a crashed app working
> > properly. The main problem is that I have a good deal of debug output that
> > goes into the terminal so that earlier output is lost due to missing
> > scrolling support (or is there a way to scroll and I missed it?). Also not
> > so nice, but probably bearable is that the general text output speed
> > (especially when scrolling) is really slow (I use qemu, so things are
> > generally a bit slower).
> >
> > So, what is the state of the real Terminal? Is it already working? Who
> > feels responsible for it? Which is the right one anyway -- there seem to
> > be
> > two implementations? What does a broken zip file in repository
> > (http://svn.berlios.de/viewcvs/haiku/haiku/trunk/src/apps/terminal/muterm-
> > 2.3.zip?rev=11769&view=log)?
> Stable and ready AFAIK for production use. There are some minor features
>   that existed in R5 which are not implemented yet (search, log to file,
> etc). but for its normal use, it works fine. I have been using it to
> stand in for R5's on my workhorse machine and I'd say it works pretty
> well. Andrew Bachmann knows more about why things are organized the way
> that they are. The sources to use are in the MYOB folder and even then
> there are files which are not used. While I've worked on some patches
> and UI work, it's not my baby, so I've been reluctant to nuke files,
> move files, or do anything to really rock the boat, so to speak.

OK, but earlier or later someone should cleanup the stuff. It definitely
shouldn't remain like it is.

> > What is the state of app server scrolling support in general? IIRC the
> > last
> > time I had a look at Playground, something was still broken.
> >
> > Unless there are better options I would add scrolling support to
> > MiniTerminal, if necessary even hacking a bit to circumvent app server
> > scrolling support.
> Barring problems with support from the server, I can't see why our
> Terminal should be a problem when booting Haiku.

Well, my experiences with the current app server let me expect problems (no
intention to slight anyone), in particular because MiniTerminal, which I
understood as a temporary solution, is still in use. I just thought someone
might have concrete experiences...

> I'll see if I can toy with it again tomorrow.

OK, thanks. I will have a look at it myself now.

On 2005-07-17 at 22:44:27 [+0200], Axel Dörfler wrote:
> Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> > Unless there are better options I would add scrolling support to
> > MiniTerminal, if necessary even hacking a bit to circumvent app
> > server
> > scrolling support.
> >
> > Any opinions?
>
> I would rather see us adopting Terminal now :-)
> If it doesn't work correctly, it should fixable with not too much
> effort I hope.

I'll have a look at it, but since my intention was actually to get the
debugger working and I'm not familiar with app server internals, I don't
really want to dig too deep here.

CU, Ingo