[haiku-appserver] Re: Terminal/MiniTerminal

  • From: DarkWyrm <bpmagic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 14:11:04 -0400

Ingo Weinhold wrote:

Howdy,

I realized, that in its current state the MiniTerminal is not really helpful while trying to get attaching gdb to a crashed app working properly. The main problem is that I have a good deal of debug output that goes into the terminal so that earlier output is lost due to missing scrolling support (or is there a way to scroll and I missed it?). Also not so nice, but probably bearable is that the general text output speed (especially when scrolling) is really slow (I use qemu, so things are generally a bit slower).

So, what is the state of the real Terminal? Is it already working? Who feels responsible for it? Which is the right one anyway -- there seem to be two implementations? What does a broken zip file in repository (http://svn.berlios.de/viewcvs/haiku/haiku/trunk/src/apps/terminal/muterm-2.3.zip?rev=11769&view=log)?
Stable and ready AFAIK for production use. There are some minor features that existed in R5 which are not implemented yet (search, log to file, etc). but for its normal use, it works fine. I have been using it to stand in for R5's on my workhorse machine and I'd say it works pretty well. Andrew Bachmann knows more about why things are organized the way that they are. The sources to use are in the MYOB folder and even then there are files which are not used. While I've worked on some patches and UI work, it's not my baby, so I've been reluctant to nuke files, move files, or do anything to really rock the boat, so to speak.

What is the state of app server scrolling support in general? IIRC the last time I had a look at Playground, something was still broken.

Unless there are better options I would add scrolling support to MiniTerminal, if necessary even hacking a bit to circumvent app server scrolling support.
Barring problems with support from the server, I can't see why our Terminal should be a problem when booting Haiku. I'll see if I can toy with it again tomorrow.

--DW