[guide.chat] The Matilda magazine

  • From: "Carol O'Connor" <missbossyboots33@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guide chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 18:46:20 +0100

This is the Matilda Ziegler Magazine
Weekly Edition for June 18, 2012
Address: 20 Thorndal Circle
Darien, CT 06820
Local Phone: 203-604-8601
Toll Free: 877-424-5481
Website: www.matildaziegler.com
Email: editor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ross Hammond, Editor

Table of Contents

Letter from the Editor
Feature Writer John Christie - Dr. Kerscher Awarded Migel Medal
Feature Writer Alena Roberts - Turning Sign Language into Speech
Feature Writer Lynne Tatum - iPhone App Updates
Feature Writer Terri Winaught - From Humble Beginnings
Feature Writer Ann Chiappetta - Verona on the Boardwalk
Feature Writer Karen Crowder - The History of Father's Day
Op Ed with Bob Branco - Proposed Hugging Ban in School
Reader's Forum
Recipe of the Week - Hawaiian Baked Beans and Franks

You may skip to a new article or section at any time by using your browser or
word processor's Find or Search function to look for the ### symbol.  For
entries within a section of the magazine, search for the ## symbol.

Letter from the Editor

Hello Everyone,

As always, I hope you all had a great weekend and were able to spend some time
with Dad on Sunday, or if you are a Dad, that you were able to enjoy time with
your kids.

This week is pretty much business as usual here.  It is crazy how fast time is
going, though.  It feels like I just nicely get one week's magazine out and
it's Monday again in an instant.

We do have a nice line-up of articles for you this week, as well as another
very large Reader's Forum, which is always great to see.  As far as updates go,
stay tuned for announcements on the May 2012 Audio Edition, which should be
available next week depending on our studio's recording schedule.  Again, if
any of you would like to subscribe to receive the audio edition download
directly, please send me an email at editor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with "Subscribe
to Audio Edition" in the subject line so I can get you signed up before the
next one is released.

That should cover everything for now.  Take care, have a great week, and as
always, thanks for reading.

Sincerely,
Ross Hammond, Editor
###
Feature Writer John Christie - Dr. Kerscher Awarded Migel Medal

On May 5, 2012, Dr. George Kerscher received the AFB Migel Medal. He earned
this prestigious honor because of his work standardizing accessible digital
books. He is also closely related with the DAISY standard (Digital Audio-based
Information System), which has been adopted worldwide to make eBooks accessible
to everyone.  Dr. Kerscher has worked closely with web developers, technology
developers, publisher's libraries, and other service providers to make eBooks
accessible.

The medal that Kerscher won is the highest honor in the blindness field. This
medal is given to professionals and volunteers who have dedicated their lives
towards improving the lives of blind and visually impaired people. The award
has been in existence since 1937.

We truly have Dr. Kerscher to thank for being able to download eBooks from
mainstream sources, as well as other sources.  In addition to his advances in
eBook accessibility, he is also president of the International Digital
Publishing Forum (IDPF).  Standing at the helm this organization, we can be
sure that he will continue to make eBooks accessible to everyone.

Immediately after receiving the medal, he was on his way to Washington, D.C.
for a White House event honoring champions of change in increasing access to
STEM. He will also be going to meetings representing IDPF in conjunction with
Book Expo America and Daisy, both taking place this month.

Kerscher started out as a high school literature teacher. During this time
period, he was declared legally blind at age 28. He would have remained a
teacher if the technology of today was available to him. However, he gave up
driving and couldn't think of ideas on how to do his job as a blind person. He
then discovered that he had an aptitude for computers and enrolled in a
master's program at The University of Montana as a computer science major.
While in college, he had to depend on readers to read material for him. He also
wrote to publishers in order to obtain files for his books. He received some on
floppy disk, but they were mostly junk. He put them in a drawer and only took
them out later in order to invent a program so that he could read books with
his screen reader. It was at that point, that computerized books for the blind
became a real possibility, and shortly thereafter, Computerized Books for the
Blind, a non-profit organization, was born.

In 1991, Kerscher went to work for Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic (now
Learning Ally). He started as a research and development director and produced
books on floppy disks with some navigation capabilities. In 1995, he was
promoted to Senior Officer of Accessible Information. While in this position,
he consulted on all accessibility issues for Recording for the Blind as well as
collaborating with people around the world to develop standards for digital
books. The Digital Audio-based Information System (DAISY) Consortium was formed
in 1995. This organization would form a single set of standards for blind
people worldwide to make books accessible.

In 1997, he was hired as DAISY's Project Manager. Later on, he would hold
multiple other jobs that would influence how books were produced for the blind
all over the world.

Kerscher has made some truly amazing contributions as far as making books
accessible to the blind is concerned. Without his efforts, it's hard to say
where we would be as a community, and if accessible digital text would be as
advanced as it is today.

He is a great man and we have a lot to thank him for.

Source: http://www.afb.org/afbpress/pub.asp?DocID=aw130606
###
Feature Writer Alena Roberts - Turning Sign Language into Speech

Imagine living in a world where a very small part of the population could
understand your way of communicating. This is the world that the deaf live in.
They are able to communicate with each other and those who know sign language,
but they're cut off from communicating with much of society. A team of
engineers at the University of Houston is on a quest to change this, and
they've recently developed a prototype device that turns sign language into
speech and speech into sign.

The handheld device consists of a built-in microphone, sound board, camera, and
monitor. When the device is put on a table, the deaf person can begin to sign.
The camera films the person signing and then those images are translated into
speech. Since the device also has a built in microphone, someone who doesn't
know sign language can talk into the device and it will then translate that
into virtual sign language on the monitor for the deaf person.

During the development, the team reached out to the deaf community to find out
what would work best for them. They said that the hardest part was compiling
all of the signs.  As a result, each sign has an average of 200 to 300 images
associated with it. Their goal is to be as accurate in their interpretation of
the person signing as possible and so a thorough catalog is necessary.

The doors that this kind of device would open could be endless. For one thing,
it could be used as an alternative to paid interpreters, or as a backup plan
when an interpreter isn't available.
The device is just a prototype right now, but hopefully it will turn into a
product that can be purchased in the near future.

One person who I spoke with mentioned that the team is considering a mobile app
platform, which would likely be a better solution than an external device.
With the advances in camera sensors and mobile computing power, this would be a
great portable option. Either way, it's very exciting.

I myself don't know sign language and would really like to be able to converse
with members of the deaf community without struggling over our barriers of them
not hearing and me not seeing.

Source:
http://zeenews.india.com/business/news/technology/soon-device-to-translate-sign-language-into-audible-words_779393.html
###
Feature Writer Lynne Tatum - iPhone App Updates

On the heels of Apple's exciting news regarding iOS 6, I thought I'd offer a
list of apps which I've recently purchased that have made my iPhone a thing of
fun and productive beauty.  During the past two weeks I've been absolutely
app-crazy.  I would read a Tweet about an app; open www.applevis.com (an
informative source for reviews, podcasts, and more); install the app and
pronounce it worthy or not.  Be warned:  All apps are not free.

Not a fan of Facebook, I do have an account and check it sporadically to see
what my "friends" are up to.  So it was with great hopefulness that I installed
two apps--VoiceBook and Focus for Facebook.  It took some time before I got the
hang of working with VoiceBook, as you need to perform a one-finger swipe to
move through the status updates.  While it is a text-based site that does the
job, I still found the swiping a bit cumbersome.  Focus for Facebook, however,
is an app that reminds me more of my Twitter apps, in that my friends are in a
friendly list which can be navigated very easily with a three-finger swipe up
or down.  I have not yet posted on Focus for Facebook, but its easy interface
just might cause me to face it more often.

For those of us who do not have the incredible (or frustrating) Siri, we must
content ourselves with finding apps that at least come close to her magical
powers.  The Voice Dictation app (not to be confused with the Dragon Dictation
app) does the trick for me.  Open the app, double-tap on the screen to begin
your recording, and double-tap to stop it.  It's that easy.  I have turned
recording sounds on for my convenience.  Once done, you will be prompted as to
the action you would like to take with your recording.  You can edit the text,
send it as a text message, e-mail, it, send it to Facebook or Twitter, and save
it to the popular online storage service known as DropBox if you so desire.

Speaking of DropBox, I am absolutely in love with an app called DropVox, with a
"V."  This little gem allows me to create recordings that are immediately saved
to my DropBox account.  All I needed to do was provide my DropBox username and
password (these days known as my credentials), start recording, and it is
magically whisked there.  I've been recording my contracted Braille lessons
using the app and find it an indispensable learning tool.

The acquisition of these apps has facilitated my learning to move them around
from screen to screen.  My home screen bears little resemblance to the original
layout, but it suits my needs just fine--for now!

More amazing apps to come in an upcoming piece.  Stay tuned!
###
Feature Writer Terri Winaught - From Humble Beginnings

In January 1950, Pilot Dogs, Inc. was chartered as a nonprofit, the foundation
having been laid by Stanley Doran, vision impaired since the 7th grade; Charles
W. Medick, the father of a blind child; and Everett R. Steece, an administrator
for what was then called Services for the Blind in Ohio.  Bishop Bernard J.
Sheil from Chicago, IL took an interest in the new school, as did Henry
Staffel, President of Perk Foods, who provided significant financial support.
Mr. Staffel set up a program in which Returning Veterans Brand Dog Food labels
were collected, with prime collections having been done by the Illinois
American Legion Auxiliary.  The return of 850,000 labels generated an annual
income of $60,000 for Pilot.

From its humble beginning of training four students in 1950, Pilot now trains
over 150 people each year, and has matched over 5,000 guide dog teams at their
Columbus, OH facility.

In 1960, Lions Clyde R. Tipton and Dwight Swepston from the Tri-Village Club
presented a motion at the state convention of the Ohio Lions to adopt Pilot
Dogs as a state project.  With the passage of that motion and permission from
Lions International, Pilot is now called, "Lions Pilot Dogs."  Over 500 clubs
now give to Lions Pilot, and it is this type of support which enables the
school to provide services at no cost to its students.  These services include:
round trip transportation, a month of training, and each student having a
private room and the Pilot Dog.

Some of the breeds that Pilot uses are: Boxers, Doberman Pinschers, Golden
Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers, and standard poodles.  Though trainers try
their best to match prospective guide dog users with their preferred breeds,
the main criterion trainers use is the type of dog they feel will best meet a
student's needs.  Another positive aspect of Pilot's training is that they keep
their classes small to provide more individualized support.

To complete an application or for more information, visit www.pilotdogs.org;
write to 625 West Town Street, Columbus, OH 43215; call 1-614-221-6367; or fax
1-614-221-1577.

Did any of you attend Pilot?  If so, feel free to share your experience in
Readers Forum.

Source:  www.pilotdogs.org
###
Feature Writer Ann Chiappetta - Verona on the Boardwalk

The first time I worked with Verona on a boardwalk was in Atlantic City, New
Jersey. We stayed at one of the hotels there and after checking in, set out to
find a nearby delicatessen.  Within minutes, Verona figured out that she needed
to stay in the center of the wide expanse to avoid foot traffic in both
directions. After a few blocks, I noticed she was slanted and I asked my
husband to follow us and tell me what was happening. He dropped back and after
a short time, he caught up with us.

"She's walking funny. I think the boards are slanted and she won't step in the
cracks."
We both stopped and started laughing. I never thought of that. It must seem
very odd to a dog that the slanted, herring bone patterned boards could be not
only confusing but also feel strange; after all, she was doing it in bare feet.

We hupped up and finally found our shop, and then headed back to the hotel. By
the time we returned, Verona wasn't walking funny anymore and had apparently
gotten accustomed to the strange walkway pattern she had encountered.

When I first began training with Verona, I didn't understand the feelings
conveyed through the harness handle. Now, thanks to a few years of experience,
I know them well. For example, I know when there is another dog around just
from the way she prances and pulls. I know if there are birds distracting her,
too, as she drops her head and jerks left or right.  I know her side-to-side
shuffle to warn me not to take another step or I'll be sorry. I learned that
one the hard way when I didn't stop and slammed my right knee into a low,
concrete bench. I know the hard, frantic pull telling me she has to relieve
herself. Best of all, I know the tail wagging, jaunty, and endearing pull
telling me she sees a loved one.  How she manages to walk and wag still
mystifies me.

We've been back to the boardwalk once more since that first time and she seemed
to remember those strange boards, because she was no longer walking funny, and
in fact, appears to love to strut out in the fresh sea air and sunshine.

What's your favorite place to go with your guide dog? Tell us in the next
Reader's forum.
###
Feature Writer Karen Crowder - The History of Father's Day

The first Father's Day celebration was held in Fairmont, West Virginia on July
5, 1908, in the Williams Memorial Methodist Episcopal church. Grace Golden Clay
was still mourning the tragic death of her father, who had perished in the
December1907 Monongah mining disaster, which killed 367 men.  250 fathers
perished, leaving 1,000 children fatherless.   This service was held to
remember her dad and everyone else who had died.    Grace Golden Clay was a
quiet woman who did not promote this celebration as Sonora Dodd of Spokane,
Washington would a couple of years later in 1910.

Sonora Dodd, born in Arkansas, honored her father William Jackson with a
Father's Day service at the YMCA on June 19, 1910.  It was her wish that her
father be remembered as a Civil War veteran and a single parent who raised his
six children all alone.

Sonora began promoting the celebration of Father's Day as a
nationally-recognized holiday, but it failed to gain the speedy momentum that
Mother's Day had enjoyed. She promoted the day until the early 1920s when her
studies at the Chicago Art Institute took more of her time and attention.

The idea of Father's Day did not fade in to complete obscurity, though, and in
the1930s, trade groups and the New York Father's Day council would not let the
idea die. They promoted the selling of ties, smoking paraphernalia, Father's
Day cards, toiletries and shaving products, and other items to give Dad on
Father's day.

Years later in 1957, Margaret Chase, a U.S. Senator from Maine, would shame
congress by accusing them of" ignoring fathers for forty years."  In 1966,
Lyndon B. Johnson finally recognized it as a holiday, and in 1972, President
Richard Nixon made Father's Day a national holiday.

According to Wikipedia Father's Day has had less commercial success than
Mother's Day. We honor our dads with sporting events, grooming or electronic
gadgets, a quiet meal at home, or taking him out to dinner.

In most of the Western world, Father's Day is celebrated on the third Sunday in
June.  We are one of the only countries who celebrate it as a national holiday.
 In countries like Italy and Portugal, it is celebrated on March 19, on the
feast of Saint Josephin Lebanon, and Egypt's Father's Day is celebrated June
21, the first day of summer.   The global celebration of Father's Day continues
to vary with Russia, where it is celebrated on February 23.  Other countries
will celebrate it anywhere from May to November.

When I was younger, we honored our dad by giving him gifts for himself for our
home. We would also either have a dinner or barbecue, depending on the weather,
showing our love and appreciation.

How have Ziegler readers honored their dad? Tell us about it in the Reader's
Forum.

Source: www.wikipedia.org
###
Op Ed with Bob Branco - Proposed Hugging Ban in School

With everything going on in this country right now which affects us as a human
race, you would think that the law makers would devote all of their time to
fixing these problems.  Well, I guess some lawmakers are bored stiff.  I
recently heard about a city with a school system that wants to ban hugging in
class, and if they're not successful at banning hugs altogether, they want to
limit the length of time you hug someone.  So, in other words, if I go to that
school and decide to hug my classmate, someone has to stand behind us with a
stop watch.  I thought, according to psychologists, it's very healthy and
beneficial to hug someone.  I guess this particular school system would prefer
that you wait until you get home.

Can legislators please stop being so picky?  I can't wait to find out the
school system's reason for wanting to prohibit hugging in class.  This is going
to be outrageous--I know it!

Some people believe that the reason why this particular school system wants to
ban hugging is because of fear that the hugging will lead to more intimate
activities.  I am willing to guarantee these school officials that preventing
hugging in class won't stop anything that the kids may want to do later.  I
attended Perkins School for the Blind, which is a private school. Most of the
students lived on campus, so their activities were monitored 24 hours a day,
seven days a week, either by the principal, the study hall supervisor, the
house parent, the dean, etc.  While I was a student, you could not kiss or hold
anyone's hand without being punished, yet several girls ended up pregnant
anyway.  If this happens at a private school where no one goes home all week,
how can anyone think that they can control behavior at a public school, where
kids only spend several hours before going home?  Are these school officials
next going to suggest that the students don't hug after school either in case
something more intimate happens?

It's also been suggested that the proposed hugging ban will prevent the display
of emotion between students.  If that's true, I have a question for these
school officials.  Have they turned on the television lately or listened to
today's music?  Every other television channel shows couples who are extremely
intimate, most of whom have very little clothing on.  A great deal of the
lyrics of today's music encourages sexual activity.  How can a lawmaker expect
to compete with what society is offering the kids outside of school?  The
problem does not originate in class; it's a social issue that needs to be
addressed on a more general level.  If I go to a public school and restrain
myself from hugging my classmate all day, doesn't anyone realize that if I
wanted, I will try to make up for it when I go home?  The only part of a
student's life that these officials want to control is six hours per day.
There are 18 other hours in the day for kids to do things and, as I said, if
girls were getting pregnant at a residential private school, despite the fact
that they weren't allowed to kiss or hold hands with boys, then how can a law
which stops hugging for six hours a day do much at all?

The best way to teach a student about hugging, intimacy, and sex, is to have
the proper education, either in school or at home.  I am very proud to say that
I received a quality education on this subject in the eighth grade, and I
learned my lessons very, very well.  Constant communication with a child about
this subject is very beneficial, because now we're talking about how the child
spends their life, not just a few hours a day in class.
###
Reader's Forum

For your convenience, all Reader's Forum submissions are separated by the ##
symbol.

and 2, Mina wrote:

It's actually not hard to use at all if you use NVDA. I have had no issues with
YouTube. Additionally, there are two accessible websites that allow you to use
YouTube in a more accessible fashion. I will list them here for you:

http://tube.majestyc.net/ and http://povidi.com/yourtube/

But I still thank the writer for letting us know that certain operations are
easier to do on the mobile YouTube website. I do hope the writer will give NVDA
a spin on YouTube. The buttons are all labeled. What might not be realized is
that some screen readers cannot handle HTML 5 or the scripts do not reflect
YouTube's change to HTML 5. I like it a lot better than Flash.

Here is a tip for NVDA users. If you want to control the volume of the video,
simply change modes with NVDA and Space Bar. Then, use your up and down arrows
to adjust the volume.

If you have NVDA and never figured out how to do anything on YouTube for the
videos, here is what you do.

1. Navigate down to "loading".
2. Press the Space Bar to make it load and play.
3. Down arrow into "embedded" something. Press Space Bar to enter it. Wait a
moment for it to load the HTML 5 controls. After that, you should start hearing
them read out all the buttons. Use the arrows or whatever navigation you like
to check out each button. Use the Space Bar to toggle it.

3. If you need to access other tabs while it plays or anything else in the page
or you want to close the tab, you get out of the focus by using NVDA and
control and Space Bar. You will then hear the title bar being read. That is
your cue to do what you want. To re-enter the video if you had left the tab up,
just arrow down to the embedded controls again and press Space Bar. The focus
locks into that again for you.

I know this is not a full tutorial, but I hope it helps someone.
##
and 2, Chela wrote:

called the basic html-5 version of YouTube, which you have to opt into every
time you have a browser upgrade, so, for more info, go to
http://www.youtube.com/html5 and follow the simple directions.
##
and 2, Gerardo wrote:

Wow, what a great learning experience from reading the two YouTube articles! I
especially really liked the http://www.povidi.com/yourtube/ site.  Being the
type of person I am, I like to have an idea of how long a video lasts,
especially documentaries and others.  Great work! Looking forward to more
articles on how to better use these types of things.
##
Charles wrote:

I'm in total agreement with Bob!  I get furious when managers take a pitcher
out in the sixth or seventh inning when they're pitching a shutout, or are
leading by, let's say, 2 runs, and a runner gets on base with two outs, only to
bring in a relief pitcher who strikes out the last batter, and then you see a
different pitcher in the next inning?  They're wasting pitchers!  I also am in
total agreement with Bob about making these millionaire players take care of
themselves, follow a training schedule that is laid down in advance, or they
don't play.  They, just like we, should be expected to do as the boss says, or
get out.  And this includes the use of illegal drugs and steroids, including
alcohol!

I would also like to see the designated hitter rule done away with.  Let the
American League pitchers bat just like everyone else, and add the strategy of
whether to take a pitcher out and be pinch hit for in a critical situation.
Let the managers actually manage.  But that's another whole can of worms.

Baseball should be played the way it used to be:  Outdoors, on God's green
Earth and grass, under God's weather, during the day, not at night!
##
How It's Done, Bill wrote:

or so I have been told.  I have cooked a lot of things like Thanksgiving and
Christmas dinners.  I also make desserts. I am not brave enough to try bread,
but I might get up the courage to take the plunge.

Bill Meinecke
Virginia Beach, Virginia
##
Broken Trust, Theft, and Recovery: Parts 1 and 2, Michael wrote:

I had an experience with a cleaner who robed me of money and peace of mind in
1993.  I was living alone in Albany, NY and had about six months of successful
working with this person, when several checks were written and my signature
forged.  I talked with my family, got the police involved, and forced
restitution.
##
Broken Trust, Theft, and Recovery: Parts 1 and 2, Gerald wrote:

two years ago of an unscrupulous home care aide who took advantage of my
blindness to rob me of cash and personal property.  We had an acrimonious
relationship right from the start, and I was forced to fire her after three
months of service.  On her last day of work, she raced out of my home early in
the morning, and it was not until a few hours later that I discovered that
about $125 in cash along with some jewelry and a clock radio were missing.

I immediately called the agency that sent her and reported the theft, and their
personnel manager promised to speak to her and find out what happened.  Not
surprisingly, the aide claimed to him that she had not stolen anything, and so
he insisted that I must be mistaken about the sudden disappearance of the
missing items.  I told him that I was certain that the aide had stolen the
items,  and that I expected an appropriate adjustment to my final bill as
compensation, since I was paying for the services of the aide out of my own
pocket.

When the agency sent me the final bill with a note that they expected it to be
paid in full, I called the personnel manager and told him that I would report
his agency to the state Attorney General's office if they persisted in trying
to collect the full amount of the bill because, as far as I was concerned, the
aide had not been properly screened.  Needless to say, I went ahead and paid
the final bill after deducting the cost of the stolen items and never heard
from the agency again.

Unfortunately, it is often difficult or impossible to determine in advance
whether a home care agency is reliable and trustworthy, especially if you are
engaging their services on your own.

Sincerely,
Gerald Levy
##
Broken Trust, Theft, and Recovery: Parts 1 and 2, Leol wrote:

Oh yes! I too have had my share of broken trust, theft, and yes, once being
reimbursed for a stolen item.  Despite the numerous amounts of agencies and
aids I have changed over the past four years when I began receiving the
service, the problem still continues to date.

It seems to me that it's a cultural thing in this profession. No one seems to
be able to do anything about it or just don't care about the population they
are being paid to serve.

I once reported it to my precinct, but they too told me they can't do anything
about that without factual evidence. They suggested that I should change the
agency or have the aide replaced. I have done both on numerous occasions.
Another suggestion is that I should try installing cameras in the apartment,
which I have not tried yet, so I don't know how effective that will be.

One thought came to my mind--how about having dogs train to detect theft so
when one tries to leave with your belongings, the dog will alert you and some
type of action should put in place to be taken. After all, these highly
intelligent animals have already been trained to detect all sort of things,
couldn't they be trained to do this as well? Just an idea.

Leol Williams from Brooklyn, NY
##
Barbara Mattson wrote in to say:

Responding to the editor's previous request for experiences from parents of
blind children, I asked my mom to write something on the topic. She's been slow
at it, but I believe it caused her to remember what it was like for her to
leave me at the school for the blind every Sunday. I believe this because of
the recent event I relate below.

Mom was dropping me off at my condo after we'd been grocery shopping and she
got out of the car to help me unload my drinks even though I told her I could
get everything OK.

After I'd set all my drinks on the porch, we hugged, and when we separated she
said, "I love you." My face must have shown surprise because I confess that I
don't remember Mom, nor any of us for that matter, ever saying, "I love you,"
to each other.

I said, "I love you too," and went on to observe that I have regularly told
some of my aunts and even friends that I love them, but never my family.

Mom said, "There were so many times when I was leaving you at the school, and I
wanted to hug you and tell you I loved you, but I was afraid I'd cry and that
would make you cry. I would see other tearful parents and their crying
children, and I didn't want that."

For several years, I've been writing a fictitious story of my life from various
points of view. It wasn't until I wrote about being left at the school on
Sunday, that I began to see how hard it must have been for my parents to leave
their first born in a place full of strangers, walk away, and not come back
until Friday.
###
Recipe of the Week - Hawaiian Baked Beans and Franks
Submitted by Dave Hutchins

A perfect side for your next barbeque.

Yield: 6 Servings

Ingredients:

2 cans baked beans (16 ounces)
1 package frankfurters, cut into 1-inch pieces (16ounces)
1-1/2 cups drained, crushed pineapple
2 Tablespoons finely chopped onion
2 Tablespoons Splenda brown sugar
1 Tablespoon Catsup
1 teaspoon prepared mustard

Directions:

Combine all ingredients; stir well.

Spoon mixture into a 2-quart casserole.

Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F. for 50 to 60 minutes.

Note:

You can substitute mild or hot links for the franks if you want to spice it up
a bit
###
END OF WEEKLY MAGAZINE.  PLEASE SEE SUPPLEMENT EMAIL FOR SPECIAL NOTICES AND
PEN PALS.  IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE EMAIL, PLEASE GO TO:
http://www.matildaziegler.com/special-notices-and-pen-pals-supplement-june-18-2012
 TO VIEW THE SUPPLEMENT ON OUR WEBSITE.

This publication can be heard on the telephone by persons who have trouble
seeing or reading the print edition.  For more information contact the National
Federation of the Blind NFB-NEWSLINE® service at (866) 504-7300 or go to
www.nfbnewsline.org.

This email was sent to missbossyboots33@xxxxxxxxxx
If you are no longer interested you can unsubscribe instantly:
http://swisher.cmail3.com/t/r-u-hjkhwy-fldltdutj-r/