[guide.chat] The Matilda magazine

  • From: "Carol O'Connor" <missbossyboots33@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guide Chat List" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 23:23:35 +0100

This is the Matilda Ziegler Magazine

Weekly Edition for June 13, 2011

Address:

20 Thorndal Circle

Darien, CT 06820

Local Phone: 203-604-8601

Toll Free: 877-424-5481

Website: www.matildaziegler.com

Email: editor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ross Hammond, Editor

Table of Contents

Letter from the Editor

Feature Writer John Christie - Advanced Accessible Pedestrian System

Feature Writer Alena Roberts - When Care Should Take Precedence Over
Conflict

Feature Writer Karen Crowder - A Deadly Swirl in New England Skies

Feature Writer Ann Chiappetta - A Film Faced with Obstacles

Feature Writer Lynne Tatum - Classical Music, Anyone?

Contributor Carole Rose - Remembering Dad

Contributor Terri Winaught - The Blind Boys of Alabama

News - A Principal's Plan to Help Her Students

Reader's Forum

Recipe of the Week - Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes

Joke of the Week

Special Notices - New Listings

Pen Pals - New Listings

Special Notices - Previous Listings

Pen Pals - Previous Listings

You may skip to a new article or section at any time by using your
browser or word processor's Find or Search function to look for the
### symbol. For entries within a section of the magazine, search for
the ## symbol.

Letter from the Editor

Hello Everyone,

As always, I hope everyone has a nice weekend.

As most of you are probably aware, some people experienced difficulty
receiving the magazine last week. After sifting through the new
material trying to find out what sent up a red flag for various spam
blocking services, I've yet to find the culprit. That said, I'm going
to proceed with this week's magazine as I normally would with one
exception--any new special notice or pen pal listings from last week's
magazine will not be present in the previous listings sections. I will
continue to work on finding out which particular notice or ad is
causing the problem, and when I do find it, I will republish the other
notices for the normal duration. For those of you who submitted those
notices or pen pal ads, I'm sorry for the delay.

As a final note, I'd also like to wish all of the dads out there a
very happy Father's Day. I hope you all are able to enjoy the upcoming
weekend with your families and loved ones.

Take care, and thanks for reading.

Sincerely,

Ross Hammond, Editor

###

Feature Writer John Christie - Advanced Accessible Pedestrian System

In Moscow, Idaho, a University of Idaho professor named Richard Wall
has come up with a system to help the visually impaired cross
intersections in a much safer manner. The system is called The
Advanced Accessible Pedestrian System.

"The statistics are really quite bad for pedestrians at
intersections," said Wall. "You want to be aware when you're crossing
the street, regardless of what the light says. The pedestrian has to
take responsibility for his own safety."

The improvements made to the old system are simple, but make crossing
much safer. Raised arrows are placed on the module to allow
pedestrians to feel the direction of the intersection they'll be
crossing and speakers provide a clear message that indicates when it
is safe to cross.

"Audible sounds have no directionality," said Wall. For those with
sight, he says, "You say 'OK I'm going to be crossing the street in
this direction so I know which crosswalk the sign pertains to.' But a
blind person who hears it doesn't necessarily know. They just hear
walk and don't know which direction the permission was given to."

The system is currently in commercial production and is being
installed throughout the U.S. Researchers hope to install 90 systems
this year. Currently, the system is installed at the corner of 6th and
Beacon in Moscow and is compliant with The Americans With Disabilities
Act.

This new system for crossing intersections is a great tool for the
blind and visually impaired because of the tactile arrows. Not only
does this system provide directional support for those crossing the
intersection, but this will help confirm to the blind pedestrian when
it is safe to cross. My only concern is that on a windy day, or in
instances with a lot of background noise, those speakers might be
difficult to hear.

For those reasons, it is still very important to rely on the traffic
flow as well to know when it is safe to cross. While lights are there
to control the drivers, they don't always obey or take notice. The
main point here, though, is that the more tools the blindness
community can use to assist us in crossing an intersection, the better
off we'll be.

I'd like to hear your comments in the Readers Forum to find out
your opinions about this new system.

Source: http://www.klewtv.com/news/local/122283504.html

###

Feature Writer Alena Roberts - When Care Should Take Precedence Over
Conflict

Last week I read an extremely disturbing story about a guide dog user
who put her guide in the trunk of a cab because the cab driver said he
wouldn't take her with the dog in the car. The driver has since been
suspended and fined for his actions, but I'm more concerned with the
actions of the guide dog handler. I understand that it can be
frustrating when cab drivers try to refuse to take service animals,
but I can't think of any reason why I would be willing to put my guide
in a closed trunk of a car.

According to the article, the handler is now concerned about
traveling with her guide. She feels like this experience has affected
her independence. This really bothers me since she decided that her
appointment was more important than her insisting that the cab driver
following the law. Even though standing up for yourself can be a
challenge sometimes, once you become a guide dog user, you are now
considering the life of another creature as well as your own. Her
guide didn't suffer any major damage from his ride in the trunk, but
growing up in the desert of Las Vegas taught me how hot the trunk of a
car can get. The possible heat and the dog hurting himself by shifting
around with limited space could have caused him real harm. He also now
may not be as confident as a guide because of this experience.

The way the article is written, the cab driver is made out to be the
bad guy. His actions are inexcusable, but so are hers. As a guide dog
user myself, I have faced situations where my guide was not welcome,
but I know the law and have stood up for myself. My message to this
handler, and all service dog users, is to never put your dog in danger
because someone doesn't want to provide you with the service and
rights that the ADA gives you.

I would like to hear stories in the reader's forum about situations
where guide dogs have been refused access, and your experiences with
cab drivers.

Source: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/28151488/detail.html

###

Feature Writer Karen Crowder - A Deadly Swirl in New England Skies

As I sat listening to continuous storm coverage about the June 1
tornado, I was stunned by the devastation wrought by this vicious
storm. We had been shocked by the cruel storms ravaging the South and
Midwest, yet were thankful that this would not happen in New England.
The last storm of a similar magnitude was June 9, 1953 in Worcester,
Massachusetts.

June 1 began as a sunny, summer-like day with everyone appreciating
the warm weather after a rainy spring and cold, snowy winter. My NOAA
weather radio mentioned the possibility of severe weather that
afternoon across the state. As I waited for transportation returning
home from the mall, I noticed that the heat and humidity was more like
mid-July than early June.

After three p.m., weather reports began to come in warning us that
parts of central and western Massachusetts, southern New Hampshire,
and Connecticut were to expect severe weather within an hour. With
temperatures over ninety, this was not surprising, but the tornado
watches and warnings were.

As I look back now, it would not have been too late to cancel the
dinner and business presentation I had planned, but I had hoped that
we would escape the severe weather again like we normally do. As I
waited for my transportation, I noticed the increasing wind,
oppressive humidity, and distant rumbles of thunder. At the dinner and
presentation, everyone had their eyes on the TV as news coverage
revealed a line of tornadoes across central and western Massachusetts.
At quarter to seven, I was shocked to learn that a second line of
tornadoes was headed for already-devastated cities and towns that had
been previously hit. Shortly thereafter, a local channel informed us
that the Leominster/Fitchburg area was under a tornado warning until
eight o'clock. Later, that warning was expanded to eleven. Soon
after the update, I received phone calls from concerned friends,
inquiring if we were all right.

At eleven, like other viewers, I sat shocked as I heard first-person
accounts of the monumental damage these storms had caused. Old cities
like Springfield, historic Sturbridge, Westfield, and Munson were hit
very hard and it will take some time to rebuild. News commentators
described stores and homes leveled and debris like bricks, trees, and
even cars being tossed around like toys. There was also damage to many
retail and office buildings.

We all just could not believe that something of this magnitude could
hit us here in the Northeast. Though, due to the great work of our
local weather stations, there were few fatalities and people were
generally well-prepared.

Like the Worcester tornado of June 9, 1953, for decades people will
talk about the tornado of June 1 that turned part of Massachusetts
upside down.

Do you have any storm survival stories? Share yours with us in the
Reader's Forum.

###

Feature Writer Ann Chiappetta - A Film Faced with Obstacles

An innovative and much needed documentary has seemingly come to an
impasse without even being completed. Called "A World Without
Boundaries," the film is now in progress and being created by Pine
Baron Films.

What began as a personal struggle and morphed into a social concern
has the producer and director facing the fact that no matter how
important the need is for the world to remove the blinders separating
them from accepting people with visual impairments, the blind and
visually impaired are still hidden and taken for granted.

The project begins with producer Michael Meo's search for support
and help with his wife's fluctuating vision loss resulting from
Multiple Sclerosis.

In an interview, Mike states that because his wife's needs were
unique to her illness, it was hard to find support outside the M.S.
community regarding vision loss.

Mike and his CEO, Chris, have had a number of setbacks, but are
determined to see the project through to its fruition. When the film
is ready for distribution, it will be 90 to 120 minutes in length and
will focus on blind and visually impaired individuals who live
fulfilling, independent lives in fields traditionally considered not
suitable for those with vision loss. For instance, Mike mentioned a
boot camp instructor who is blind and teaches self-defense to military
recruits. It is inspirational individuals like this who Mike and Chris
wish to locate and interview.

The reason why the film hasn't moved forward is primarily due to
the lack of funding. The small reserve of funds were used for
traveling and equipment. Also, when the film is ready for
distribution, creating the audio description track will be a financial
concern.

To find out more about this film, go to:
www.myspace.com/pinebarrenfilms

###

Feature Writer Lynne Tatum - Classical Music, Anyone?

Are you a Classical music lover? Do you think Mozart is marvelous or
Beethoven beautiful, or do even the words "classical music" strung
together conjure thoughts of a sleep-aide (or nails on a chalkboard,
maybe)? I've spent a good deal of my life listening to and greatly
enjoying this music. I suppose I simply take it for granted. I
graduated from the Fiorello LaGuardia High School of Music and Art,
where we received a thorough immersion in the genre. Rather than run
screaming from the art, I am pleased to say I've attended many
concerts and recitals and hope to continue doing so as long as I am
able.

I happily recall moments spent in our required Music Survey course
taught by the full-bearded, bushy-haired Dr. Chernoff. He instilled in
us a love for the history of Western music and its seminal figures,
emphasizing the correct pronunciation of their names--something that
is a sticking point for me to this day. He enthusiastically and
humorously explained terms and offered examples. I've since taken
several music appreciation courses and have found merit and enjoyment
in them all. Additionally, Avery Fisher Hall at Lincoln Center holds a
special place in my heart as our high school chorus performed on its
venerable stage during our graduation ceremony.

Once stunned by a student who did not know the great Johann Sebastian
Bach, I firmly believe Music education is as important as any other
and I am always sickened to hear that a music program has been cut. I
applaud el Systema of Venezuela, which offers music education to any
child who expresses the desire.

If you'd like hysterical and clever humor with your classical
music, I invite the young and young at heart to explore a delightful
series entitled, Beethoven's Wig. It is available through both
amazon.com/mp3 and iTunes. Pieces of classical music are given comical
treatment, making them fun to learn and memorize. I roared with
laughter upon hearing the first tune and have listened to the entire
series several times.

You just might be an avid classical music lover and not know it. Take
a chance and download the 99 Most Essential Pieces of Classical Music
from www.amazon.com/mp3. I'll wager you'll know most, if not all
of the pieces. Why? We have heard the music all our lives and certain
pieces are now a part of our collective consciousness, thanks to pop
culture.

My all-time favorite composer is Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart as I find
his melodies to be most compatible with my ear and temperament. In the
interest of musical growth, however, I have listened to and enjoyed
many styles of classical works, even challenging, atonal modern works.
Now that took some doing.

###

Contributor Carole Rose - Remembering Dad

Although I have fond memories of our mother, it was our father who
taught me and my sister Harriett how to fully embrace life. Coping
with the challenge of nurturing two totally blind children born
sixteen months apart came naturally to dad, and during our early
childhood, he was a great source of strength for mom, who needed more
time to adjust.

When we were small, he entertained us with hide-and-seek and other
wonderful games and activities. He had boundless energy, even after a
hard day's work. Dad was a lover of nature, so we spent time on my
uncle's farm, making friends with the animals and caring for our own
little vegetable and flower garden. At home, he taught us to climb
trees, roller skate, and ride a bike--much to the dismay of some of
the neighbors. But the neighborhood children weren't afraid of us;
we had lots of friends. He built a cottage on a northern Indiana lake
where we spent summers swimming, boating, fishing, water skiing,
exploring trails, and capturing turtles and frogs, soon to be returned
to their natural habitat. Our more domestic pets included dogs, cats,
a parakeet, and two ducklings which we kept until they grew too big
for city life. Dad introduced us to giant roller coasters, Ferris
wheels, and other death-defying rides. I will always enjoy amusement
parks.

Like our dad, Harriett and I enjoyed playing harmless pranks and
recruiting kids to join us in other fun activities--especially kids at
the Indiana School for the Blind. The administration often complained
to our parents that we were much too precocious.

Dad took pride in our academic and musical achievements. When we lost
our college scholarships because we wanted to become teachers, he
worked two jobs so we could graduate.

Harriett and dad had a passion for water sports, while he and I
shared a passion for Hoosier high school basketball and the
Indianapolis 500. Dad and I were both red-heads and our relationship
was sometimes volatile. But he was the best father two blind children
could ever hope to have.

###

Contributor Terri Winaught - The Blind Boys of Alabama

Success can be fleeting and fans fickle, but the Blind Boys of
Alabama are as successful now as when they were founded in 1939 at the
Talladega Institute for the Negro Blind in Talladega, Alabama. Some of
the group's best-known founders are: Jimmy Carter, Johnny Fields
(deceased), Clarence Fountain, who has been able to tour since 2006
when his health permits, and George Scott (deceased).

Having said that the Blind boys of Alabama are as popular now as when
they were founded is evidenced by many acknowledgements. These
accolades include: having won Grammys from 2002 to 2005 for best
Gospel album; having been inducted into the Gospel Hall of Fame in
2006; having received a Lifetime of Achievement Award in 2009; and
having sung for President Obama and the First Lady in 2010, along with
Bob dylan, John Melloncamp, and Smokey Robinson.

As part of their 72-year career, this group has also earned praise
for their interpretations of styles as varied as traditional Gospel
and modern-day spirituals. Writers whose songs this acclaimed Alabama
group has sung include, Eric Clapton, Ben Harper, Curtis Mayfield,
Prince, and Tom Waits.

TV shows on which the Blind Boys have performed are: 60 minutes, Late
Night with David Letterman, The Grammy Awards Telecast, The Tonight
Show and their own Holiday Special on PBS.

Though this creative group never "crossed over" from Gospel to rock
as did greats like Sam Cooke, Aretha Franklin, and Whitney Houston,
their music transcends culture as indicated by their travels to
Australia, Greece, Quebec City, and Scotland.

What makes the group's accomplishments even more impressive is that
success did not come easily. For close to 40 years, the Blind Boys
performed primarily on the Black Gospel circuit in venues that
included auditoriums, churches and stadiums.

The group's recording career began on Veejay Records in 1948 with, "I
Can See Everybody's Mother But Mine." Many in the music industry
recognize this first hit as having influenced not only Gospel but also
R and B and Rock 'n' Roll.

Throughout the 1960's, the group joined the Civel Rights Movement,
performing for Martin Luther King, Jr., and after a stall during the
1970's, they gained recognition again in 1983 when they earned a
crucial role in the Obie award-winning play, "The Gospel at Colonus."

More recently, the Blind Boys collaborated on recordings with, Asleep
at the Wheel, Solomon Burke, Peter Gabriel, K.D. Lang, Willie Nelson,
Bonnie Raitt, Lou Reed, Mavis Staples, Susan Tedeski, Randy Travis,
and LeeAnn Womack.

After all these years of profoundly influencing blues, gospel and
rock music, the Blind Boys of Alabama are still blazing trails, and I
wouldn't be surprised if this dynamic and versatile group will keep
blazing trails for many more years to come.

I'd love to hear in Reader's Forum from anyone who attended the
Alabama Institute for the Negro Blind when the Blind Boys became a
gospel group.

Source: Wikipedia and www.blindboys.com

###

News - A Principal's Plan to Help Her Students

Like every Principal, Sherrie Gahn is concerned about the welfare of
her students. However, Sherrie's focus goes far beyond the classroom.
You see, her elementary school, located outside of Las Vegas, is
filled with many students whose families are homeless. In fact, 85
percent of her student body--518 out of 610 kids--fall into that
category.

"I thought that I saw the ultimate poverty when I got here eight
years ago and every year it has gotten worse and the recession made it
ten times worse," she said. She quickly realized that the situation
was not one that could be solved by a traditional public school. She
remarked that when she saw children eating ketchup for lunch, and
asking if they could take it home, that it crushed her.

Sherrie soon came up with a plan that would involve not only the
school, but the parents and the surrounding community as well. She
told the parents that she would give them whatever it is that they
needed, so long as they gave her their children for her to teach.
Food, clothes, eye doctor appointments, rent and utility payments, all
was promised to the poverty-stricken families of her school if the
kids continued to attend.

Her students now receive free clothes, free bread to bring home to
the families, and free haircuts, among other things. Many of the items
are donated by local businesses that drop the items off at the school
on a daily basis. Sherrie makes a wish list that she distributes to a
hoard of volunteers who go out and find people willing to help.

The contributions to her cause come from far and wide, and sometimes
from unexpected donors. There is one woman in Philadelphia who sends
twenty dollars a month to help out. A gambler, who caught wind of what
Sherrie was trying to do, donates two thousand dollars every month,
which is taken out of their Vegas winnings.

Sherrie encourages her students to always continue to learn. When she
speaks to her fifth grade classes she says, "If you make it through
junior high, you make it through high school, and you can't afford to
go to college, come see me and I will make sure that you go to
college." A small trust fund has been established to make sure that
she can keep that promise as well.

Now, with the school year over, Sherrie is concerned about the many
families who will be on their own this summer without the aid her
school provides during the year. She already has a plan in place for
the following year to start an after school program so her students
have a safe place to be when the school day is done.

When asked how she felt about what she's doing, Sherrie said that the
kids are worth the big promises that she's made and that she measures
her success by their reaction. "The look in their face that I made
their life better. That's my success rate when they hug me and thank
me for the food, the clothes. Then I know it's a good day."

Source: http://www.cbsnews.com/2102-18563_162-20070437.html

###

Reader's Forum

For your convenience, Reader's Forum submissions are separated by the
## symbol.

Over Inaccessible LSAT Exam, Kim wrote:

Hi. In response to John Christie's article concerning a man's suit
against the American Bar Association, I don't blame this man. I'd sue,
too. What does drawing pictures have to do with becoming an attorney,
anyway? You'd think the ABA would have a little sensitivity toward
visually impaired law school students. I'm outraged.

##

Therapy: My Secret Family, Casey wrote:

I think it is an awesome therapy to have special babies. I have
special babies myself, and I find that it is indeed a great way to
reduce stress when I hold one. I got a baby from an online store for
my early birthday, and I love him dearly. This baby is a Behrenguer
Lucas Real Boy, and he is so adorable!

I really hope that other people will be able to further understand
and learn more about these precious children. I didn't know much about
them until I met a good friend who had these kids. When I realized how
precious they really are, I started collecting them in 2006, and I'm
still collecting them as I see babies I can cuddle with and love. I
really believe that these special children are dear and precious.

Casey Zaczek, Clintwood, VA

##

Government Benefits Process, this reader wrote:

While I have not been through the process of applying for government
benefits, I may be able to shed some light on the slow response of
government entities to move to the online process. I work for the IRS
and am constantly asked, "Can't I email that to you?" Email is not
secure enough to send personal information without some sort of
encryption. For the safety of the consumers, and most likely to
prevent law suits regarding identity theft, we still continue to
process information either over the phone, via fax, or on a secured
website. These websites take money to keep updated and with a freeze
in spending, this will be additionally delayed. I would point out that
these are my perceptions of IRS policy and is not an official opinion.

C. Menges

##

Parenting: Part 1, Betsy wrote:

I am way behind in reading but just wanted to comment about Ann's
parenting article in the May 9 issue of the newsletter. I am a totally
blind parent of four children. Their ages are 21, 18, 14, and almost
11. I can relate to everything she said in the article. I actually had
to take my youngest daughter out of sports because I could not get
rides for her to the practices or to the games once we moved to a
smaller town. We were only five minutes or less from the main playing
field but I still could not get her rides.

I also can relate to being alone when going to the games or practices
with her and having no one to talk to. You would think that the
commonality of being a parent would help but many times it doesn't
because people are afraid they will say the wrong thing to you as a
blind person. I, too, did not allow this to keep me from participating
in their activities because it was important to me for my child to be
able to be involved.

I have been a single parent since December, 2005, but even when their
dad was here he did not help that much so I was basically doing things
alone.

One of the advantages I found as a blind parent is that my kids had
to learn to communicate verbally. They could not just shake their
heads or point at objects. This has helped them all through their
life.

Another advantage that I have found as a blind parent is that my
children have learned to be independent. If I could do something as a
blind person, then surely they could do it with sight as long as it
was age appropriate. An example is that they did not like that I did
not spread peanut butter and jelly on the bread evenly. Because of
this, they learned to make their own sandwiches early on.

I know they have taken advantage of me not seeing at different times,
but I also know that when my hearing was a lot better that I caught
them doing things that sighted parents would have missed. One of my
friends used to say that I could catch her kids quicker than she did
doing things that would get them into trouble when they were small. I
was not distracted visually by what was going on around me and because
I had been trained all my life to listen to my surroundings I would
catch more what was going on with the children.

- Betsy

##

Without Sight, Lindsay wrote:

After reading Karen Crowder's article on camping, I am reminded of
the countless camping trips that I have taken with my family since
early childhood.

My dad is not only an avid camper, but is also an excellent cook, and
while many campers munch on hamburgers and cans of beans, it was quite
commonplace for us to enjoy juicy steaks or fresh seafood around a
blazing campfire in the middle of the woods.

During one summer camping trip three years back, however, I was
chagrinned to discover that my dad had decided to prepare a different
type of meal. He announced to me that we were going to be eating a far
more traditional camping meal--hotdogs! He knew that I despised
hotdogs, and it simply did not make sense to me that he would choose
to forgo cooking one of his delicious dinners in favor of prepackaged,
processed pork parts. But when he placed the package of hotdogs in my
hand, I did not doubt that he seriously expected for me to eat them.

Still somewhat annoyed, I sat by the fire as my dad cooked dinner on
his portable grill. When he had finished, he handed me a paper plate,
and upon poking several pieces of meat with my fork, I was pleasantly
surprised to discover that it held not hotdogs, but steak and lobster!

He and my younger brother then proceeded to tell me that they had
purchased the food earlier that day, but had bought the cheapest
possible package of hotdogs that they could find to show me as a
decoy. Being that I am totally blind, I failed to realize that the
steak and lobster were in plain sight the entire time. Their trick
worked, and we all had a good laugh in the end!

Lindsay Yazzolino, Boston, MA

###

Recipe of the Week - Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes

Submitted by Dave Hutchins

Yield: 12 servings

Prep: 15 minutes

Cook: 4 hours

Ingredients:

2 pounds ground beef or ground turkey or half and half

1 cup chopped green pepper

2/3 cup chopped onion

2 cups ketchup or barbecue sauce

2 envelopes sloppy joe mix

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 teaspoon prepared mustard

12 hamburger buns, split

Directions:

In a large skillet, cook the beef, pepper and onion over medium heat
until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ketchup, sloppy joe
mix, brown sugar and mustard.

Transfer to a 3-quart. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4-5
hours or until flavors are blended. Spoon 1/2 cup onto each bun.

Slow cook your way to a crowd-pleasing entree! Ground beef is
transformed into a classic sandwich filling with just a few pantry
staples.

Nutrition Facts: 1 sandwich equals 337 calories, 9 g fat (4 g
saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 1,251 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate,
1 g fiber,18 g protein.

###

Joke of the Week

Tom, Dick and Harry went to a party. After the party they returned to
the hotel. The hotel was 600 stories high.

Unfortunately for them, the elevator was not working. They made a
plan for the first 200 stories--Tom will crack jokes.

The second 200 stories Dick will tell a happy story and lastly Harry
will tell a sad story. They then started up the steps

After 2 hours it was Harry's turn. He turned to the other two and
said, "Ok guys, here's my sad story. I forgot the keys downstairs."

Source: http://www.cleanjoke.com/humor/600-Story-Hotel.html

###

SPECIAL NOTICES - New Listings

Workers for a long-term project needed: I am looking to find people
who would be interested in working on a long-term project I have had
in my head for years. I need to find people who would be interested
and have the knowledge for the following tasks: proposal writing and
printing, have access to a lawyer willing to go over documents for
incorporation once accomplished, for legality when finished, knowledge
of the Foundation Center and its use for research or its branches and
for those who are blind have access to readers to help with the
research and submission of material.

I'm looking for people willing to serve on a board to make decisions
about a project and have time for conference calls once a week to
discuss options, people who are willing to put in time on various
projects within the whole idea.

If you have time and the resources, and the enthusiasm to do
something different and innovative, please contact me. An independent
attitude and willingness to learn are essential to this project which
I will discuss further if appropriate candidates are found. I cannot
pay anyone to complete the above tasks, and so if you are interested
in a project to promote blind persons independence with employment and
housing I would be pleased to hear from you using my e-mail to begin
with to discuss ideas. You may contact me at: karenb7410@xxxxxxxxx

Thank you.

Sincerely, Karen Bailey an original founder of Candle in the Window

##

The National Statler Center 1160 Main Street is accepting
applications from blind, visually impaired and physically disabled
individuals for career training in Hospitality, Customer Service and
Contact Center professions. Training includes Microsoft Word, Excel
and Outlook using Assistive Technology. Job-search assistance is
included and placement rate for graduates is 82 percent. July 6 thru
September 15 classes are filling now. Contact Jeff Pease at
716-888-4526 or visit www.StatlerCenter.org

##

For Sale Franklin Talking Language Master, in very good condition,
comes with clear speech, contains full dictionary, thesaurus, and many
other features, takes 4 double A batteries, also has cover for
protection, asking $150, call Caitlin at 517-227-1122

Thanks,

Caitlin Snyder

##

triviaguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx would like to know if anyone reading this has
ever worked as or known anyone who has worked as a court reporter or
scopist. He is seeking information about these careers. Thank you.

##

For Sale: PacMate Omni BX400/ with 20 cell Braille Display

Manufactured in 2008

Battery upgrade has been performed

Currently running firmware version 6.02 but can be upgraded to 6.5
for free through Freedom's website

Comes with all accessories shown and original box

Executive leather case included

Very good condition, notetaker and Braille display work flawlessly

Clean reset just performed so notetaker will arrive as new from the
factory

Retail price on a new BX420 is $2,895, and we paid a lot more only a
couple years ago!

This pac Mate is listed for $1000

The PAC Mate BX420 accessible Pocket PC is composed of a PAC Mate
BX400 and a removable 20-cell PAC Mate Portable Braille Display. The
PAC Mate BX features an eight-key Perkins-style braille keyboard, JAWS
speech output, and ActiveSync capabilities so it can provide direct
access through the PAC Mate to the user's desktop PC and its
applications, including e-mail and the Internet.

Please contact

Gabe Trif

gabe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

P: (866) 606-8551

F: (503) 821-6355

You may also contact Nancy the original owner of the unit at
singingskierxc@xxxxxxxxx For specific questions regarding the unit.

##

I have a braille writer for sale asking 250.00 for it. Serious
reply's only at rchpay7@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

##

I have 3 audio cassette holders which I will sell for the cost of
shipping.

Each holder has space for 8 audio cassettes. They can be stacked or
can stand alone. All in very good condition.

Payment is accepted either by personal check or money order.

Barbara Sheinbein

Email: batterseye@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Telephone: 314-965-8006 weekends/evenings

##

I am looking to buy a BookSense XT. If you have one in fine working
order and wish to sell it, please contact me by e-mail at
NINOPACINI@xxxxxxxxx or call me at 313-885-7330. I am in the eastern
time zone so please call before about 9:30ish my time. Thank You! Nino
Pacini

##

Ken Reynolds seeks information regarding accessible cell phones, and
also needs financial assistance in purchasing adaptive equipment. He
already tried state rehab, so he would prefer information about other
programs. Please email the editor at editor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx if you
have any information.

###

PEN PALS - New Listings

Hi. My name is Kim Etheridge. I'm female, of course, and am 38 years
old. I'm also a Christian. My hobbies are making new friends, studying
the Bible, computers, and acting. I'd like to hear from those who are
either Christian, or who have an interest in becoming a Christian. My
preferred media for responses is email. While tapes are great, it's
more work to purchase and maintain mailers. That's why I'm an email
only person. Thanks. ckimnbay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

##

My email is: fakhruteacher@xxxxxxxxx

My skype is: fakhruteacher

About me: I belong to India. I'm totally blind. My hobbies are:
reading books, listening to music, chatting with friends via skype.

I would like to contact people around the world. I can accept braille
letters and audio tape letters in English too.

##

My name is Casey, and I'm a 25-year-old female looking for friends
only. I would like to receive e-mails from people. Some of my hobbies
include computers, talking on the phone, reading, writing, and
listening to music of many styles. Please e-mail me at

caseykitten@xxxxxxxxxxx so we can chat and get to know one another.

Thank you so very much.

Sincerely,

Casey

##

High my name is Paul Rodriguez I'm a 50 year old blind man who enjoys
all kinds of music, listening to TV, going out once in a while, and I
like volunteering. People can call me, any time of day or night. Age
is no preference. Please call 716-892-5136

##

My name is Victoria. I have an interest in the computer and I love
sharing email devotionals and I have enjoyed the ones that have been
sent to me. I live alone and take care of myself--my children are
grown and gone, but we have a very close relationship. My phone number
is (850) 766-2449. Please do not call if you have a blocked number,
though, as I will not pick up. My e-mail address is
ladyvwithlove@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx If anybody uses Windows Live, let me
know, as I am also looking to chat through that as well.

##

Harould is looking to converse with women between the ages of 35-40.
Contact him at 517-455-1618.

##

Ken Reynolds, 47, would like to meet women between the ages of 25-47,
hoping to begin a relationship. You can reach him at 256-761-2951.

##

Kimberly Morrow: email: morrowmediakc@xxxxxxxxx Would like to hear
from teachers of the blind and visually impaired who do consulting
work in addition to working a full-time job.

###

SPECIAL NOTICES - Previous Listings

Hello,

My name is Jorge and I'm currently in high school in New York.

I'm writing because I need someone to please donate their gently used
note taker to me. I've asked the commission, they won't pay for it,
and the board won't either because it's not for school. I have one for
school but I only use it for school related things and to read books.
But please, I need a personal one I can keep my own files on without
worries that anyone's going to be looking through my personal stuff.

I can take anything as long as it's not broken or extremely old.

Contact me for more information at computertechjorgepaez@xxxxxxxxx

Thank you,

Jorge

##

My name is Lauren Tuchman and I, along with Sarah Blake will be
presenting a paper on the use of assistive technology in the study of
Biblical languages by students who are blind and visually impaired at
the Society Of Biblical Literature conference in San Francisco this
November. As part of our presentation we are asking for input and
feedback from those who took either Hebrew or Greek courses at the
undergraduate or graduate level. Feedback is sought from both those
who successfully completed coursework as well as from those who were
not able to complete language courses due to issues of accessibility.
We are asking respondents to fill out a brief survey, the results of
which will be anonymous and kept in strictest confidence. For more
information or to request a copy of the survey, please e-mail
ltuchman1@xxxxxxxxx

If you know of anyone who may be interested, please pass this along
to them. Much thanks for your assistance!

##

I am writing because maybe some blind or visually impaired medical
transcriptionists, especially those who use Editscript or some other
voice recognition entity, could help me. Here at Holy Cross Hospital
we have been using Editscript for about a year and a half, and I am
unable to meet the production standards that have been set up. Maybe
someone can give me some pointers. I use JAWS and also have a Braille
display. I would like to get in touch with some other blind or
visually impaired medical transcriptionists. My home e-mail address is
b1r@xxxxxxxxxxxx My home phone number is (202) 723-0215.

Barbara

##

Hello

I have a Braille Plus for sale. It is running the 1.6 software and is
a couple of years old, but is in good condition and hardly used. The
reason for selling is I find I am not using it and would like it to go
to someone who needs it. The price is $800.

Please e-mail me if anyone is interested: Lena Contreras, email:
lenac@xxxxxxx

##

I have a Braille writer for sale, asking 300.00

I also have a Franklin language master, asking best offer

I have a box con that you can buy labels where you can record labels
for products.

I have an older laptop pc that works fine with jaws on it for sale.
It is a Dell.

For more information on any of these products, email Richard at
rchpay7@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

##

Janet Jendron and Catherine Graham are asking for help promoting the
SC AT Exchange. Many of you may be new to this listserv and haven't
heard about the Exchange. Please help spread the word.

The South Carolina Assistive Technology Exchange

http://www.sc.edu/scatp/scatpexchange.htm is an online equipment
reutilization database that helps citizens with disabilities and older
people with functional limitations find affordable assistive
technology devices and equipment. The South Carolina Assistive
Technology Program (SCATP) does not profit from the sale of listed
devices. Those with devices they no longer need, agencies with
equipment no longer being used, or vendors with returned or
overstocked equipment can list all available devices for use in
education, employment, and community living environments, and connect
with the consumers interested in finding these resources. SCATP often
helps arrange transportation of equipment between those who need it
and those who have it to give away or sell at a reduced price.

Go to the SCATP Exchange site http://www.scatpexchange.net/ , click
"I've read and accept the terms" and go to the next page. Click
"register" and it should be easy from there. You can register even if
you don't have items to sell or give or find. You'll get a password
and be in the system. If you don't have email, you can call SCATP to
have your account information entered for you. Call Catherine Graham
at 803 434-3189.

For more information about the SC AT Exchange, contact Catherine
Graham catherine.graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (803 434-3189) or Janet Jendron
Janet.Jendron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (803 935-5273). The National Assistive
Technology Technical Assistance Partnership (NATTAP) has a listing of
all Tech Act Programs

(http://resnaprojects.org/nattap/scripts/nattapcontacts.pl) in the
USA.

SCATP also has a listserv dedicated to information about equipment
reuse in

South Carolina. Please consider joining this, as well. Sign on at
http://www.sc.edu/scatp/join.htm

##

VSA Presents Shift, An exhibition exploring the moments that alter a
person's life at the Kennedy Center June 3-30

(WASHINGTON, D.C.) May 26, 2010  VSA, the international organization
on arts and disability, presents Shift, an exhibition exploring the
moments that alter a person's life, at the Terrace Gallery of the John
F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts June 3-30. A panel
discussion featuring select artists and moderated by the Hirshhorn
Museum's Jessica Dawson, former arts writer at The Washington Post,
will be held Thursday, June 9 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. in the Kennedy
Center Atrium.

VSA invited artists living with disabilities to share moments when a
shift in their landscape occurred. From the personal to the
professional, their stories are told through a range of media in this
international juried exhibition.

"These artists extract deeply personal stories to infuse their
artwork with a sense of raw experience," said Jennifer Wexler, VSA
director of visual arts. "From a photographer who begins a quest to
capture images when faced with losing sight to the artist who
redefines his worldview from escaping pain to seeking happiness, Shift
explores these moments of change."

Featured artists are: Sarah Beren, Allen Bryan, Brenna Colt, Emily
Dailo, Liz Doles, Jesse Higman, John Lambert, John McCafferty, Bruce
Monroe, Hal Moran, William A. Newman, Thomas Sedgwick, Chris Tally
Evans, Mare Vaccaro, Gwynneth VanLaven, Kurt Weston, and Jon Wos.

The jury review panel for this exhibition consisted of Georg Burwick,
director of digital media at the University of California, Riverside's
UCR ARTSblock; Jayme McLellan, founding director of Civilian Art
Projects; and Simon Mckeown, reader in animation and post-production
at Teeside University in the United Kingdom. The jury reviewed 316
submissions.

This exhibition is free; for the June 9 panel discussion and
reception, reservations are requested. To RSVP, email
rmloose@xxxxxxxxxx or call 202-628-2800, x3898.

##

Check out Sermons on the Phone: 773-572-6206. Nine choices for you.
May leave your comments at the end of sermon.

Linda

##

My name is Penny. I have a braille 'n 2000. Sometimes when I am
writing phone numbers or something like that, it writes letters
instead of numbers. How can I correct this problem?

Please email the editor at editor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with any
information.

Thanks, Penny

##

Computers for the Blind

Here is your chance to have a powerful computer with software
allowing blind and visually challenged persons to be able to join
family and friends, doing what they are doing.

Each computer comes complete with monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers,
and all associated cables. It also comes with preloaded software.
Software includes: Open Office for word processing/book keeping, NVDA
screen reader, demo version of Window-Eyes (will function for 30
minutes before computer restart), and 60 day demo version of ZoomText.
For a donation of only $100, the Texas Center for the Visually
Challenged will send your newly refurbished computer right to your
door. As of this morning, they have sent over 4,100 computers to
visually impaired individuals. Computers can only be shipped to the
United States or Canada.

Call Lee Mann at 214 340 6328 for full information. Please pass this
information on to other people who may need an inexpensive, fully
accessible computer.

##

Horizons for the Blind, a Crystal Lake, Ill based not-for-profit
organization, announces the launch of directionsformeTM
(directionsforme.org), an exciting new Internet based service that
makes consumer packaging information available in an accessible online
format for people who are blind, visually impaired or simply have
trouble reading the increasingly small print on packages or labels.

There are limited resources, if any, for visually impaired consumers
to access this information. Many websites are not designed to be fully
or even partly accessible for text-to-speech screen readers, Braille
output devices, screen magnifiers and web-enabled cell phones.

This important information is often ignored because of the difficulty
in seeing it. Some of this information is of a convenient nature but
drug interaction and allergy warnings could be life threatening.
Gaining comprehensive access will foster self sufficiency and allow
consumers to lead more healthy and independent lives.

directionsforMeTM was designed specifically for the blind and
visually impaired consumer and employs innovative methods to simplify
the user experience.

Skip to Main Content: Allows you to bypass repetitive information
contained on each web page.

Subject Headings: Lets you go directly to the information you want
without wading through content you do not.

Formatting: After consulting and testing with actual users,
information on the directions site is set up in the most efficient and
understandable way possible.

The Directions website will address a glaring disconnect between
consumer product manufacturers and this underserved population.

The easy-to-use format makes directionsforMeTM appealing to a wide
range of consumers. With the amount of information on consumer
products increasing dramatically and the print size decreasing just as
significantly, many consumers, particularly the growing senior
population, are having trouble reading the information on packages and
labels.

Through a licensing agreement with Gladson, Directions features over
300,000 products in food, health and beauty and general merchandise
categories. It provides consumers a consistent, one-stop source for
preparation directions, nutrition facts, ingredients, allergy/drug
interaction warnings and more.

##

Books And Beyond is a show that plays on ACB Radio each weekend. It's
hosted by Bonnie Blose, and we talk to authors, editors, publishers
and other creative and interesting people. Sometimes the shows are
blindness related and sometimes they're not. All Books And Beyond
shows will be archived at www.accessibleworld.org on The Books And
Beyond archives page. You can still call 773-572-3166 and hear them on
the phone as they become available. For questions, email Nancy Lynn at
freespirit52@xxxxxxxxxxx

##

Having computer problems? Contact Adapt on Demand LLC

"Assistance is an E-mail away"

E-mail: adapt@xxxxxxxxx or call 816-200-1064 any time

A partial list of services would include consulting, help with iPhone
or Victor Stream, web site evaluation, purchasing advice, computer
training, spyware removal, and hardware and software support by phone
or E-mail on the honor system at $20 per incident.

If your concerns aren't resolved you will not be charged. The goal is
to help people first.

###

PEN PALS - Previous Listings

I would enjoy hearing from other women of any age who have a mental
illness who are blind, etc. I am 56 and am a writer, enjoy rock, pop
and folk music, reading and voicemail, email. My email address is:
spiritwind@xxxxxxxxxxx

##

Hi, My name is Sally. I am 48 yrs old and would like to have email
pen pals around my age who are Christian. An added plus is anyone who
is interested in genealogy and that could help me enter data on
ancestry.com as I am not very good at entering data. Would especially
like to hear from people in Scotland or Ireland. Thanks. Email me at
ross3324@xxxxxxxxxxx

###

END OF WEEKLY EDITION

--
If you do not want to receive any more newsletters,
Forward a Message to Someone
http://matildaziegler.com/mzphplist/?p=forward&uid=05df492cbbcb08af20b6816a7310e421&mid=133