[guide.chat] The Matilda magazine

  • From: "Carol O'Connor" <missbossyboots33@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guide chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 18:19:40 +0100

This is the Matilda Ziegler Magazine
Omission Correction for the week of June 11, 2012
Address: 20 Thorndal Circle
Darien, CT 06820
Local Phone: 203-604-8601
Toll Free: 877-424-5481
Website: www.matildaziegler.com
Email: editor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ross Hammond, Editor

Table of Contents

Letter from the Editor
Feature Writer Lynne Tatum - Visions Through the Years

You may skip to a new article or section at any time by using your browser or
word processor's Find or Search function to look for the ### symbol.  For
entries within a section of the magazine, search for the ## symbol.

Letter from the Editor

Hello again everyone,

As I'm sure you can imagine, Mondays tend to be a bit hectic around here as I
compile the magazine and prepare it for publication in a timely manner.
Despite the numerous outlines, lists, and reminders that I make for myself
leading up to Monday, sometimes things slip through or are mistakenly left out.
 Such was unfortunately the case with Lynne Tatum's article for this week.

So, in an effort to make things right, I'm publishing her article now, here and
on our website.

Enjoy.

Sincerely,
Ross Hammond, Editor
###
Feature Writer Lynne Tatum - Visions Through the Years

We've attended events at what is now known as Visions, but was formerly known
as The Associated Blind, for over 24 years.  An educational as well as fun
experience, we've enjoyed our stays at their Vacation Camp for the Blind (VCB),
holiday parties, musical events, and so much more.  Many things change, but
it's gratifying to know that the Visions organization remains a place where
people who are blind and visually impaired can go for activities that take our
needs into account.

I don't recall how we found Visions services, but my elation in enrolling in
the computer class around 1988 was palpable.  Yes, I'm proud to say that my
love of technology goes back that far.  Our instructors were fun and innovative
and I found the subject positively riveting.  I had a sentimental moment when I
located a cassette containing early screen readers performing a drama called
"As the Disk Turns" from that class.  Oh, how we hooted with laughter.
Learning through fun activities was emphasized and I attempt to bring that
spirit into my own teaching sessions.

The memorable readers of Visions saved us from being buried under our onslaught
of mail as well.  Headed for the gold medal in procrastination, our feet were
inches away from the podium.

The large auditorium has been the site for solo performances as well as
ensemble works and even our own Lighthouse Music School Vocal Ensemble
performed there when the Lighthouse building was being renovated.  Writing this
brings to mind that Maria, a friend, and I performed a successful recital there
as well.

The Visions program is quite varied in its offerings.  There are book clubs,
current event discussion groups, after-school activities for teens, knitting
classes, creative-writing groups, and the list goes on.  Recently, I attended a
drumming class, but was unable to continue with subsequent sessions due to my
work schedule. I hope to attend an exercise class this summer.  I'm a bit
worried, though, as my friend advises that the work-out is "intense."  Will the
enthusiasm of the instructor overshadow my inability to twist my body in ways
it's not been twisted before?  We shall see. Ah, and in case you're wondering,
a doctor's note is required in order to take any physical education classes.

I leave the best for last--the bi-annual bazaars.  It's lovely to just wander
around to hear the wares of the various vendors.  Last year I purchased an
easy-to-use Olympus DP10 voice recorder for only $35.00.  At this year's sale,
I came away with mango-scented soap.  It smells positively delicious and I must
restrain myself from taking what would probably be a revolting little nibble!

If you'd like to learn more about the programs and services of Visions, visit
www.visionsvcb.org.
###
END OF ARTICLE

This email was sent to missbossyboots33@xxxxxxxxxx
If you are no longer interested you can unsubscribe instantly:
http://swisher.createsend3.com/t/r-u-hjggl-fldltdutj-r/