[greenbuild] cotton insulation, wood treatments, durablock

  • From: Michael Burns <burns@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SustainableIthaca@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:08:23 -0400 (EDT)

Does anyone have any experience with cotton insulation?

I am planning to insulate my new home with blown-in recycled celluse
insulation, but would like to consider other non-toxic possibilities, in
particular cotton. Does anyone have any information about where cotton
insulation can be purchased?

I also have alot of wood that I would like to treat and wonder about what
non-toxic treatments are avaliable.

Also, I am considering using "durablock" which is essentially like drywall
but made out of concrete in smaller panels for the inside, south facing
walls of my new house. I'm thinking these would absorb more heat from my
southside windows and woodstove than drywall. Is this stuff difficult to
work with? Is it hard to finish nicely? Too expensive? Am I crazy?

If anyone has any company names, ph #s, web sites, etc. that offer
information or products I would be very appreciative of your help.

By the way, I am building a 1000 square foot, two story home, with the
northside earth-bermed, the southside w/ plenty of glass, and using
passive solar and wood to heat the house. The house is being built with 8"
and 10' walls to be filled with cellulose or some other ecologically
sane insulation. I am using a standard construction grade Pine with
the exception of a few choice applications where I've used white oak (rot
resistant) and custom-milled lumber (ceiling joists). The roof is metal.
Electric will come from PV modules in a system being designed by Julie and
Benj of Wood, Wind and Sun, Inc. I could go on-and-on describing the design
features but can sum up the design as outwardly conventional-looking
(sort of...) with components systems chosen with a priority for natural
materials and energy conservation.

I am hoping and praying that I'll be in the house by the
first snowfall 'cause nights are getting cold, especially at my
elevation (1,350).

Likewise I miss the intellectual stimulation and sharing many of us
enjoyed during last year's Sustainable Ithaca series and hope something
like it may occur again. Also, I miss attending the Natural Builders
Group's meetings and look forward to the day when my home is completed
enough to allow time to attend once again, or even host a meeting!

 ### burns@xxxxxxxxx ###