[greenbuild] Re: cotton insulation, wood treatments, durablock

  • From: "Jon Harrod" <insul8er@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <greenbuild@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 23:34:10 -0400

It does sound like a great project--with 8-10" walls and passive solar
design, you'll need very little supplemental heat.

As far as insulation goes, I'll echo Steve's statement that batt-type
insulation will only perform well if it is meticulously installed.  I've
come to the conclusion that if you're building wood-frame walls, cellulose
insulation is the way to go.  In addition to the dense-pack technique
mentioned by Steve, you may want to consider the "wet-spray" technique for
cellulose application.  Cellulose, mixed with a small amount of water and a
water-based adhesive, is sprayed into the stud cavities, where it sticks,
completely filling the cavity.  After a few days, the material dries out,
and you can sheetrock.

Although this approach doesn't do quite as good a job of reducing air
leakage compared to dense-pack, it provides higher R-value per inch (3.7 vs
3.2).  In addition, you can see the insulation before the sheetrock goes up,
so you know you have complete coverage.  I've seen this technique used in
walls up to 8" deep with excellent results.

My last piece of advice would be that in a small, superinsulated house like
the one you're building, be sure you are providing for adequate air
exchange, preferably through controlled mechanical ventilation, and also
adequate combustion air for the wood stove.  But that's a whole 'nother
discussion.

Good luck!
Jon Harrod