[greenbuild] Re: cotton insulation, wood treatments, durablock

  • From: guillermo metz <gmo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: greenbuild@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 16:00:13 -0400

I just looked into cotton batting ... Robinson Lumber in Elmira (not their
store in Odessa) has something like 60 rolls of it. It's pricey but I can't
recall how pricey (enough to scare me away but all I was intending on using it
for is sound insulation). You may want to hurry?apparently it's been a poor
seller and when these rolls are gone they're not planning on getting more.

As far as durablock, there are several such things, usually used behind tubs
and showers (that's the application most people are familiar with in case you
ask at your local shop). There are some that are made for exterior
applications as well, and in that subgroup, some that need to be painted and
some that don't (but in general these exterior ones are much harder to find).
Kelmar Construction (Ithaca, in the inlet next to the Haunt) has, I think, the
best selection of such things in this area (and they're pretty helpful). The
boards are usually thin (1/2" or so) and come in various sizes (3'x5' is
common). They're heavy and somewhat fragile but pretty easy to work with.

Good luck.
-Guillermo