[gps-talkusers] Re: a new user

  • From: "J.J. Meddaugh" <jj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 11:03:16 -0500

Hello, and welcome.
If you purchased the package new, a GPS receiver, at last check the Holux M-1000, should be arriving in your mailbox within a few days. If you already have the software, you can use it now in virtual mode, where you can explore the maps without a receiver.

As for GPS events, it depends on the host, but many are reasonably priced. For example, I helped run a gPS weekend at Camp Tuhsmeheta last year which included basic and intermediate training, trips to an audio-enhanced sculpture garden and nature hikes. The weekend cost last year was $100 plus your transportation to Michigan. We'll have news out soon about this year's event coming up in August and the costs will probably be similar.

The Sendero GPS software only works on the BrailleNote family of PDA's, though the Sendero SDK, the actual guts of the program, has now been ported to the Voice Sense. The licenses are sold separately, however.

You can currently print directions in braille but not actual maps, to my knowledge. That seems like a rather advanced feature, though I'm sure it would be quite cool.

Hope this helps.

J.J.
www.BlindBargains.com
Deals, news, and resources for the blind and visually impaired
----- Original Message ----- From: "Reinhard Stebner" <reinhard.stebner@xxxxxxxxx>