[gps-talkusers] Re: Help needed from a gps user from England:

  • From: Charles LaPierre <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 07:08:01 -0700

Hi Carol,
This sounds like a data inconsistency issue with TeleAtlas actually.
Here is what I think is happening which is why choosing either Reading or Reading England seem to work.

Lets say "Birch Street" between 1st Street and 2nd Street is just listed as in "Reading" and "Birch Street" between 2nd Street and 3rd Street as "Reading England" When I go and build the list of streets for the cities "Birch Street" falls in "Reading" and "Reading England", so it doesn't matter which you choose but when you choose an address I start searching in the city you chose and continue down the street until I find the address or the city doesn't match, but in this case the city is still really "Reading" just in some places it also has the Country added in.

But if a street only shows up in one or the other then if you choose the other you may not find it. So it all boils down to a data inconsistency issue with TeleAtlas I believe.

I hope that explains the behavior you are seeing.

Charles

At 02:01 AM 7/6/2008, you wrote:
Coventry is indeed in the Midlands - and that's one place that's right.

One of the things I've found really odd recently is to try to work out the difference between Reading and Reading, England. It seems I can use either one of those two options to find the same addresses!

Charles, if you're reading this, what are your thoughts?

Mary Ellen, what do you mean about keying in those long addresses? What do you put in when searching then? We certainly will be so glad when Post Codes are introduced for that reason. Every other GPS system used here in the UK seems to work on Post Codes, which is hardly surprising. ...

--
Carol
<mailto:carol.pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>carol.pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx