[geocentrism] Re: Fw: Re: Fw: Airy and the telescope...

  • From: geocentric@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:01:01 +0100

Steve wrote:
>> So Alan, Are you saying that light is longitudinal? I could go for
>> that...but I don't think that you are :-) I mean let's talk apples
>> to apples.

Yes, let's talk apples to apples, now we're really getting to the core
of it.

If a wave propagates by displacement of a medium and you move relative
to that medium then your speed will affect the apparent speed of the
wave: classic doppler effect.  Light however doesn't behave like this,
the frequency changes almost as you'd expect but the speed stays the
same irrespective of your movement.  Although this seems completely
counter intuitive, as the evidence mounted up scientists were
reluctantly forced to drop their hypothesis of an aether because of this.

What Doppler himself thought about light is irrelevant.

Regards,
Mike.