[geocentrism] Re: Fw: Re: Fw: Airy and the telescope...

  • From: Alan Griffin <ajg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 23:27:06 +0100

On 13 Aug, Philip <joyphil@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yes Doppler
> > predicted that light might show the same "bunching up" as sound wave
> > did when approaching a listener...that was a natural assumption in
> > that day. I think you're speaking of the Doppler-Fizeau effect more
> > exactly though. As far as the formula being different...I would only
> > expect it to be, you're dealing with both different wave form as well
> > as frequencies

        I don't recall Doppler producing different equations for different
frequencies!

> > and in the case
> > of light from space, different media.

        Precisely my case. Sound has a medium, so you can tell whether the
source or the observer is moving. Light has no medium, and motion is
relative, so you can't say which is moving.

> > At the speed that sound
> > travels, though whatever the medium other than a vacuum, the
> > difference between it and light are almost comical, the Doppler effect
> > would barely be observed because of that...again...apples and oranges.
> > In sound you're dealing with pitch, in light you're dealing with
> > spectral shift...two different things Alan...

        But pitch is related to frequency, and so is spectral shift, so
they're the same thing.

> > I don't expect to see
> > incoherent light cooking my food any more than
> > I would seeing it act like sound. Dopple made the erroneous assumption
> > as well that all stars were white-light emitters with that light more
> > or less being distributed across the spectrum. Today we know that that
> > is not the case. All waves don't act the same.

        But they do. All waves follow the same laws of reflection and
refraction and interference and diffraction. The only difference is that
you can't polarise longitudinal waves.

> > In fact...I'm glad you
> > brought up the "Doppler effect." Seems that many objects seem to be
> > leaving us....in any direction we look....but maybe Huggin's work
> > would be a better place to start when dealing with what is or isn't
> > moving towards us... Kindest regards, Steve

       Alan