[geocentrism] Re: Catching up

  • From: "Glover, Rob" <Rob.Glover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:18:16 +0100

I suspect the error in the paper is more to do with the disregard of the
pupil aperture in collecting and focussing the incoming starlight. Dr Jones
calculates exactly as if the pupil diameter were the size of a small group
of 1.5 micron diameter rods, and declares that no light focussing of any
kind takes place apart from directly on to the fovea. I don't believe this
is a correct statement.

Rather than argue around the paper however, the best way to show who is
right would be to go out on the next dark, clear night (this might take a
while in the UK!!!). Let your eyes adapt and pick out a faint star. Then,
artificially reduce the size of your pupil by a device such as holding a
piece of card with a small (<1mm) hole in it, as close to your eyeball as
you can. (This might also work if you just half-close your eyelids.)

If the stars appear dimmer and harder to see, pupil diameter is a factor,
contrary to the paper. If your view of starlight is totally unchanged, that
element of the paper stands.

Rob.