[GeoStL] Re: Geocaching in Cub Scouts

  • From: "Lazylightning" <lazylightning7@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:02:17 -0500

I am Cubmaster and Assistant Den Leader for the Ashland Pack 134 Cubscouts and
I've done a little with our Den with Geocaching.  There is a Map & Compass
beltloop and academic pin they can earn and I did a little with GPS/Geocaching
along with the curriculum.  They liked the GPS a lot more than the compass!
Our den is Webelos 1 and they are up for Geocaching, my son Mark (whoops I mean
GeoDudeGPS - he's up to 64 official finds) is always telling them about caches
and what he found, travel bugs and the sort.  Most of the kids are interested
in trying it out.  I'm going to do an activity (hike/cache) this summer with
them now that I have a couple GPSr.  We're going to do some of the ones that
have nice longer hikes.  I think the youngest I would go would be Bears, and
I'd be a little cautious with them (I'd hate to trash a nice GPS and I know how
kids are!)

Mark keeps saying there should be a Geocaching achievement.  Does anyone know
how to get that included in the scouts?