[GeoStL] Re: Geocaching in Cub Scouts

  • From: "Dru C Reeves" <drur@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 19:04:42 -0500

I agree with starting the boys with a map and compass. You need to
understand the basics before moving on to something more sophisticated.
Starting them out with a GPSr is like teaching kids math with just a
calculator. They never will understand HOW math works if started with a
calculator. Same holds true with land navigation. There are probably many
people in the group that couldn't navigate their way out of a public park
with out a GPS. Learning a topo map and using a compass is invaluable. How
many times have the batteries gone dead in the middle of a hunt.

  _____