[GeoStL] Re: Geocaching in Cub Scouts

  • From: Bernie <happykraut@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 12:33:49 -0500

-
A Yugo for $150. What a deal. P.S. I don't know how to put a smiley face here, but pretend it's there.
Bernie

merkin wrote:

-

My wife and kid participate in a co-operative pre-school program. Each mom takes 1 week out of about 6 or 7 weeks and teaches the preschool in their home for 2 mornings, 9:30-12:00. Linda has been trying, as best she can, to explain geocaching to the 4 and 5 year-old kids in the group. None of them believed her, and this was a big source of contention. My wife is teaching this week, and explained it in better detail to the group - now they all want to try "geo-treasure-hunting". I'm thinking we can go to Michaels and get seven little wooden boxes, stick a toy or two in each one, and stash them around the St. Peters Tot Lot park. Then, each kid will get a chance to follow the arrow, find their treasure, and keep it. I'll probably do a quick FAQ for the kids to take home to their parents, along with an invite to join our family on a cache trip sometime.

By the way, Costco is selling a Magellan Sport-Trak Gold with map software, a carrying case, and a download cable for $199. Then, there's a $50 mail-in rebate on top of that, putting the cost at around $150.

merkin4

From: "Bridget Griffin" <bridget@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Wed, 14 Apr 2004 08:43:02 -0500

Last Tuesday evening I had an opportunity to visit another scout district than my own. (A district is like a county) The district I went to was New Horizons in which Jim Williams attends. I was making announcements for Tiger Day (the annual cub scout event I put on out by Eureka). I made announcements on the Boy Scout side first (in which I got to say hi to Jim) then went over to the Cub Scout side. As I was waiting for my turn on the Cub Scout side, the group was talking about activities that their packs could do in the summertime. They named off various activities. Then they talked about Geocaching. It seems there was a cacher in the crowd besides me. Unfortunately, I could not stay until their meeting was over so I could meet this cacher. (Maybe I already know him, but from where I was sitting I could not see him.) There must have been over sixty adults there.

So, I just wanted everyone to know that geocaching was mentioned as a child friendly activity that cub scout packs could do together in the summertime. Pretty soon, geocaching will be a household word. What do you think? :)

Bridget