[GeoStL] Re: Common sense when hiding

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 22:10:42 -0500

- Well, I am going to agree and disagree with you. I think the Patriot Act was given that name because it needed the disguise to get it through. It is anything but Patriotic and is an erosion of everyone's rights.

However..... your stand on rights trumping other rights just does not hold water. You are taking the same position as the guy who wants to maintain his absolute right to freedom of speech by yelling FIRE in the crowded movie theater. Your rights are NOT absolute. They are dependent upon not infringing the rights of others. Felons may pay taxes, but they are not allowed in certain areas. Child molesters pay taxes yet may not be allowed near playgrounds. Think of the rights of the child molester since he cannot find your cache. Are you as concerned about his rights as yours? And last but not least, there is this thing called COURTESY. Just because you feel you have a right to do something doesn't make that a courteous thing to do. I have just as much right to public ground as another, but it is just not courteous to stomp on someone else's foot because that foot happens to be on the ground you pay taxes to support. Do you think you should be able to blare a stereo at 1000 watts into someone's ear because you think you should have the right to play music as loud as you want? Courtesy. Think about it. You might find your attitude change a little if you think of someone else instead of YOUR rights alone.

There are many things wrong in this country, but I am sticking with it, and maybe even trying to make a difference. I don't cut and run when some self serving politician is working to undo 200 years of freedom in this country. But if you cut and run because you didn't like performing a courtesy to others, then what is keeping you here after the Patriot Act?

Stephen Martin wrote:
-

I am a citizen. i pay taxes. Parent or no, you're concern is not able to trump my RIGHTS!

i am not gonna fight. i will still hunt. just not submit to making everyone elses concern trump my rights. period