[GeoStL] Re: Branson Caching

  • From: "Robert Oelschlaeger" <roelschlaeger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 09:51:40 -0500

True. The smoke signals are just the physical layer of the OSI (Old Smoke
Interface) model.

The estimate also does not account for unavailability of the transmission
medium due to a) nightfall, b) fog, mist, or rain (especially rain, which
could douse the fire), c) calls of nature or d) lack of combustible
materials.

Bob (aka roelsch)

On 6/15/07, Jon Mertz <jemertz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You forgot to run it down the networking stack. TCP header, IP addressing,
Physical (MAC) addressing, etc... This isn't the typical ring or star
topolgy, but some sort of a strange flat (or possibly hilly) topology.
Collision avoidance/detection would not be necessary as with some other
wireless technologies (unless the signalers are close to being in a line)
but since senders and receivers need not necessarily be physically located
at the same spot, this may not be a concern until congestion or smog becomes
a serious issue. Also remember that with a smoke signal, one need not stick
to binary encoding. Trinary or Ternary may be possible by varying the
lengths of the puffs and/or gaps, and possibly even the shape of the puff
(smoke rings, anyone?).

If they can do TCP/IP via carrier pigeon
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1149.txt we can do it via smoke signals!