[GeoStL] Re: Benchmarks

  • From: Dan Henke <thunder_monk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 10:16:43 -0700 (PDT)

Rudy,

I used to work for and as a land surveyor many years
ago and coincidentally work at the USGS now. My old
boss at the survey company would not turn in any
reports on BM or Section Crs. found because the
government would not pay him for the work....We
recovered usually both types on each and every job
that we did so in his files their was a tremendous
amount of information that never was passed on. (The
reasoning was stupid because the USGS or NGS or CGS or
whomever did all the work to set out these marks) but
that never phased him......and a lot of private land
surveyors hold the same attitude.
However in most survey offices the position of these
marks is known to within .10 of a inch (at least the
ones that have been found ) and if they go out looking
for them generally they will use the description and
GPS just as we do now.....once it is found however
they will tie it into there control loop for the
survey which ties the location down so close.
So I think that is what was meant by "exact location"
in the last post.

The reason the coords are off so far on most
benchmarks is that they are there solely for elevation
and not position.....there are a few were the position
is much better (such as triangulation stations) in
those both the elevation and horizontal position were
down at the time they were set.

Sorry for the lecture ...Have a great day

Dan (Thunder)