[GeoStL] Re: Benchmarks

  • From: Roger Barnes <rogbarn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 10:47:28 -0500

-
Here I am.

This is from the pinned topic at the benchmark forum at:
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?s=703ed6617e882644493f25d4a6596c17&showtopic=113335
there is all kinds of useful information there about benchmarking.
And the benchmark forum in general is a nice place to go without a lot
of the "stuff" that tends to inhabit other forums.

************************

8) County Downloads

Once you are hooked on this hobby, you will want to do a "Pocket Query"
like for caching. We're sorry but that is not available from GC.com at
this time. There is an alternative that we use and it involves using a
couple of other helpful programs and going to the NGS site to retrieve
their latest county archive.

If you click here, NGS - it will take you to the NGS site. Just select
the state, click Get County Archives, select the county and choose the
file format (zipped if you are on dial-up internet) then click Download.
Save this file to your hard drive.

You will need to download BMGPX to convert the downloaded file into a
GPX format for use with other programs. You can get BMGPX here. BMGPX

Once you have installed BMGPX on your computer all you need to do is
drag and drop the county file (unzipped) onto the BMGPX "icon" and it
will spit out a gpx file ready to use.

We just drag and drop the newly created file onto GSAK and it will open
the database and show the available benchmarks in the selected county.
You can then manipulate that info as needed. You can get GSAK here GSAK
. It is free for several weeks then you will get a nag screen after the
trial period. The cost is only about $25 US.

There are a couple of threads that explain how to use some of the
features for benchmark hunting. Sorting with GSAK Thread
AN early thread when GSAK was just getting set up for benchmarks.

***********************

Roger here again.  I can't use html in my email so I have manually
copied the links mentioned above:

Links:
NGS: http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ds_archive.prl
BMGPX: http://parkrrr.com