[gameprogrammer] Re: Need for comment & suggestion : Night Raid

  • From: Anom <adeanom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 15:01:05 +0700

On 9/17/05, Christian Rick <rick@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would like to say that it depends on what kind of game it is. If it is a
> game you'd expect your players to play during short periods but often it
> would be ok with pressing escape twice to quit the game, but if it is a
> game that the players have to invest a lot of time and skill in the
> probably quite common misstake of pressing esc twice would have quite dire
> consequences for the poor player (accidentially quitting the game instead
> of pausing before the last boss wouldnt be funny at all).
> My preference would be to have the escape key to access or dismiss the
> menu
> and to use the same keys you navigate in the game to navigate the menu,
> including "fire" to select an menu item.

well, if i'm the player i would agree with you. And as a programmer, i have
to give what the player want, right?

and as for my game, yesterday i have change the menu navigation system. So
right now it only using up and down arrow key and enter to select the menu,
instead of having a lot of key.

but still, i'm using ESC key to go to pause menu, and use up/down key to
highlight the menu (resume game / exit game) and then enter to select the
highlighted menu. I think it would make the player a litlle less consfuse
than having a lot of key.

sorry i haven't update the game on my site. It's still the old one.

--
Ade Anom A
[http://www.a3rex.info]